[CESG] Updated SEA report to CMC materials

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Nov 12 21:22:14 UTC 2017

Hi Nestor,

I already replied about the SecWG NWI.  Until I get an updated chart from them with resource loads I would rather not include it.  I do not thnk that they are ready for that.

On the DAI chart, you can take it out if you feel you need to, I would prefer to leave it in and I will, in any event, speak to the concern.  To put it simply, the DAI appears to have taken on a project for which they do not have the required expertise.  The project is a complicated systems architecture task that requires specification of a layered systems architecture, functional decomposition, application and interface protocols, and dataset and information models.  Their team has information architects (now), data modeling, and data process expertise, but no one who has the requisite systems architecture or protocols background.  That is evidenced by the fact that Roger and I prepared materials for them discussing these issues and presented them 6 months ago, but the materials that they are still showing have not changed one whit in this regard in the last 1 / 2 year.  Add to this the fact that the last two times we discussed this with them they suggested that I, or Roger, should join them to bring the needed expertise.  I think that they are aware that they have a problem, but they have done nothing about the fundamental problem.

It's a little like needing to build a house, but only having a crew of painters and interior decorators. An architect, builders, plumbers, and electricians are called for, but they do not have any on the team.  Giving them more time is not really going to help that.

I think that the CMC should be made aware that this WG is at present not staffed with people who have the expertise required to get the job done expeditiously.  If the WG does not act to remedy this, and if the CMC does not provide the resources, they could all waste a lot of time and not arrive at a useful result.

Best regards, Peter