[CESG] Books for re-confirmation, etc.

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 17 18:08:51 UTC 2017

Nestor, et al,

This list reminded me that we have an old Green Book, A31.0-G-1 Unique Identification of CCSDS Objects and Services, that dates back to Panel 2/3 days (published in 2000).  It actually references ISO OIDs as well as other namespace and identifier approaches that were in common use.

To be frank, I was not aware of its existence until recently, and apparently everyone else who participated in the creation of the RMP was similarly impaired, even that master of CCSDS History, Tom Gannett.  In looking this over I think that the RMP completely supersedes this document, and as a YB normative on CCSDS it is a book with some authority, where this older book is just a GB.

We do still have the issue of bringing the Blue Book, 630.0-B-1 SFDU Control Authority Procedures, into line with the RMP, but this is a pretty straightforward editing task if no other changes are planned.  The 630.0-B-1 document, which was one of the sources for some of the RMP organization registry, is already quite well aligned, but the pointers to the new registries and OIDs need to be brought into conformance.  I drafted this update when I edited the RMP and the companion updates to the SCID Procedure, 320.0-P-6.1.

Would anyone object to "Silverizing" this older document?   I am not sure which Area "owns" the document since it does not appear under any of the documents assigned to an Area on the CCSDS web site.  I could draft the resolution to do this if there is no objection.

Regards, Peter