[CESG] CESG review of CCSDS MO M&C Services book

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 1 19:19:09 UTC 2017

Dear Mario,

Thank you for being reasonable and recognizing that the magnitude of the changes made to the document do, in fact, require another Agency Review.  The steps you identified seem reasonable and I believe that they are in line with our agreed processes.

I cannot speak for the CCSDS Chief Tech Editor, he will utilize whatever level of review he judges is required to get the document into final form.  That is his responsibility.  The intent, of course, is to have the document in a form where if it does pass Agency Review without any substantive changes it can be offered for approved by the CESG and CMC, and then published, according to the established procedures.

I will point out that the operative words re what triggers another review are "substantive changes … to a document".  I grant you that these words (most words, in fact) are subject to interpretation.  I believe that these words were used because they are commonly understood.  It would be possible, but unlikely, for 159 RIDs to all result in minor editorial changes were not substantive (except in number) and would not trigger another review.  As you have agreed, this was not the case here.

I will agree that CCSDS has not precisely defined the meaning of "substantive", some organizations do.  Good dictionary definitions, from Merriam Webster and others are these:

"having substance :  involving matters of major or practical<https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/practical#h1> importance to all concerned"
"considerable in amount or numbers"

or, from Vocabulary.com
"having a firm basis in reality and being therefore important, meaningful, or considerable"

or, from Dictionary.com
"possessing substance; having practical importance, value, or effect"

I think any of these accurately convey the intent.  I do not think that we need to make substantive changes to our procedures in order to address this.  The procedures and their intent have been understood and adhered to for years by most of the Areas and WG and adding more rules is likely only to confuse.  That said, perhaps adding a definition like one of these would help clarify?

Best regards, Peter