[CESG] Response to Conditions raised in CMC-P-2016-04-014 Approval for CCSDS Agency HoD and Spectrum Managers to provide actual spectrum allocations for active spacecraft

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jun 3 23:54:20 UTC 2016

Dear CMC members,

We have reviewed the set of conditions raised in response to this poll.  An output containing the collected set of conditions is attached.   These can usefully, I believe, be summarized as this:

1)       Use frequency bins, not exact frequencies.

2)       Recognize that near Earth (Category A) and deep space (Category B) missions operate in different parts of the frequency bands (S, X, and Ka) and take advantage of that.

3)       Inform the CCSDS CMC members and Agency Representatives of those missions where the frequency information in the SANA is inaccurate.

In the attached draft set of updates to the CCSDS 320x0m7 (was 320x0b6) the required changes to meet conditions 1 & 2 have been made.  The proposal is to adopt a set of frequency bands that include separate uplink and downlink identifiers particularly for Cat A and B for S, X, and KA bands.  That new table looks like this:
Table 2-1 ITU / IEEE Frequency Bands

IEEE FB Name

Near Earth Downlink

Abrv

Deep Space Downlink

Abrv

HF-band  0-30 MHz

Same

HF

Same

HF

VHF-band  30-300 MHz

Same

VHF

Same

VHF

UHF-band  300-1000 MHz

Same

UHF

Same

UHF

L-band  1-2 GHz

Same

Same

S-Band  2-4 GHz

2200-2290 MHz

S-NE

2290-2300 MHz

S-DS

C-Band  4-7 GHz

3400-4200 MHz

N/A

X-Band SRS 7-12 GHz

8450-8500 MHz

XS-NE

8400-8450 MHz

XS-DS

X-Band EES 7-12 GHz

8025-8400 MHz

XE-NE

N/A

XE-DS

Ku-Band 12-18 GHz

13.4-15.35 GHz

Ku

N/A

Ku

K-Band 18-27 GHz

Ka-Band SRS or EES 27-40 GHz

25.5 - 27 GHz

Ka-NE

31.8 – 32.3 GHz

Ka-DS

V-Band 40-75 GHz (future)

W-Band 75-110 GHz (future)

Optical 1064 nm (future)

O1

O1

Optical 1550 nm (future)

O2

O2

Furthermore, the SANA form will be modified to support entry of these frequency bands and to no longer ask for frequencies.  For SCID allocation purposes these frequency bands should be sufficient, and in any event those frequencies are not made visible via the web site query interface.

I you are all satisfied with this proposed disposition of your conditions please indicate that by return email no later than 17 June 2016.

To satisfy the last condition I have asked that the SANA produce an extracted set of spreadsheets from the SCID database that shows the frequency information that is available.  I have asked that they send these individual spreadsheets out to the registered Agency Representatives for each agency that has registered spacecraft, with a copy to the registered Head of Delegation (HoD) for that agency.  A number of these are CCSDS observer agencies, in addition to most of the member agencies.

From a brief survey of the current entries in the AR and HoD registries I expect that this email process will result in a number of failures to deliver because people have left or retired and the agencies have not updated their records.  Of necessity this will also be an opportunity to bring these agency HoD and AR records up to date.   I am asking the SANA to do all they can to contact the right people, but they may be reaching out to you, the member agency HoD, and the observer agency HoD, for help locating the right people.

A review of these SCID spreadsheets also reveals the following sorts of issues with the present frequency assignments:

1)       Entries that are completely missing

2)       Entries that say “none”

3)       Entries for TC, but not for TM

4)       Entries for TM, but not TC

5)       Entries where frequencies used for forward links are reported for return links, and vice versa

This is not the case for all entries by any means, but it is the case for many of them.  We believe that you, the agency CMC reps or your staff, and the ARs, are the right people to make the determination of which of these are incorrect and to provide the correct information.  The SANA will provide the information early next week in a convenient form for you to review, but it is only the agencies that know what is correct.

I believe that the delivery of these spreadsheets by the SANA, to each agency, satisfies the third of the original set of conditions.

Once this information has been provided we respectfully ask that you work with your staff to provide the needed updates so that the SANA registries can be corrected.

Best regards, Peter