[CESG] SEA Resolution SEA-R-2016-07-001: Request publication of revised CCSDS SCID Code Assignment Control Procedures

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 12 18:45:34 UTC 2016

Nestor, et al,

I proposed treating this documents as we had in the past, on “grand-fathered” grounds.  I think that there is some justification for this, but I do understand where you are coming from.  I also think that we have had a similar situation in other cases, where other old “Blue” documents are now being re-classified as Magenta because they are procedural in nature.  I think the only solid justification for treating this document differently is that it was created as a “CMC Blue Book” to begin with.  I am speculating, because it was before my time (but not Tom’s), but this was probably because the old Panel 1, 2, 3 structure did not have anything like a CESG or an SE arm.

That said, I agree that it is reasonable to now subject this document to the same sort of rigor that we apply to all other documents that come up for review.  Accordingly, I am asking the Secretariat to please modify the resolution to reflect that this document will go through the normal CESG, CMC, and Agency review process.

And that said, I do wish to point out to the CESG and the CMC that this is not something that we can delay or avoid.  We will, very shortly, run out of Type 2, 8-bit, SCIDs, and when that happens we will be in trouble.  Even though, in fact, we could assign the exact same GSCID in different frequency bands, without fear of any repercussions or communications problems because of the actual physical separation that different frequency bands give us, we have no means “officially” to do this.  And thus we will be stuck with no way to register new Type 2 spacecraft.

Bottom line: while we can send this out for review, we must not allow this review to delay the adoption of this extended GSCID assignment and registration process.

Best regards, Peter