[CESG] Request to try to recover unused SCIDs from agencies

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Nov 17 08:33:16 UTC 2015

Dear SANA,

Based on discussions in the 16 Nov 2015 joint CMC / CESG meeting we have a request for you.  There is increasing sense of urgency that we do something (relatively) quickly to avoid exhausting the available SCIDs.  We wish to request that you try again to recover SCIDs for spacraft that are no longer being actively communicated with.  The specific request is that you do the following:

  1.  Prepare for each agency the list of their spacecraft that have assigned SCIDs.
  2.  Indicate which of these spacecraft that we believe are no longer operational, such as all the NASA Space Shuttles.
  3.  Send the list for each agency to the Agency Head’s of Delegation (the CMC members) and also the identified Agency Representatives who have authority to request / rescind SCIDs.
  4.  Describe the urgency with this request and ask that they identify all of the spacecraft that are no longer operational or being actively communicated with.
  5.  Ask that they reply within one (1) month.

We recognize that we have done something like this in the past, with limited success.  Regardless we would like to try it again and we are asking the CMC members to assist in getting this done.  If needed we will contact each of these Agency Representatives directly, and in person.

Please let us know when you will be able to start this.

Thanks, Peter

Peter Shames
CCSDS System Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-490
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-6871

Internet:  Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov

We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language exerts on our ways of thinking and, in fact, delimits the abstract space in which we can formulate - give form to - our thoughts.

Niklaus Wirth