[CESG] Item from last IOAG meeting

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed May 20 16:15:08 UTC 2015

Dear Nestor,

I agree completely that these are all major concerns as we move toward
optical comm.

- The use of the broader commercial internet infrastructure, which is now
running backbone services at 10-40 Gbps, may well be the best source of at
least a part of the "massive data delivery" solution.
- We will still need to provide the tail circuits from the remote
locations to the nearest Internet hub location, those are likely to be a
bottleneck.
- The issue of "data consolidation" is one where we may do well to adopt
DTN since it already does this job diverse routing and data aggregation.
If we do not adopt some common layer like this we will just need to invent
something very similar to it in order to accomplish the same behavior.

Best regards, Peter

PS - thanks for the excellent defense yesterday of the current CCSDS BoF,
WG, and project approval practices.  I hope that the CMC ultimately got
the point.