[CESG] Re: [SSG] [SANA #5270] AW: SCID assignments

Marc Blanchet info at sanaregistry.org
Thu Jul 30 18:11:01 UTC 2015

On 30 Jul 2015, at 13:50, Shames, Peter M (312B) wrote:

> Thanks for the clarifications Marc.  That helps a lot.
>
> One question for you is whether what we have in the “TM & TC
> frequencies” slots are actually frequencies, as in 2380 Ghz, or if
> they are frequency bands, as in “S Band”.  I think that we may get
> enough relief from just using the frequency bands (see attached table)
> that this in itself may be adequate, but I do recognize that there may
> be issues even at that level.

It is a mix of everything. Given exactly that, we tried to normalize the
data but were not able given the too large variety and that the previous
operator did not enforce any normalization while entering the data in
the registry (no criticism, just a fact). Therefore, we did not try to
enforce any normalization yet on new data, so these are currently just
« strings ».  (similarly, when we took over the RF asset registry
from IOAC, we tried to normalize the data as much as possible, but given
that it was often entered like strings with no format requirements, then
it is just a can of worms for data normalization).

Here is just a few samples from a quick visual scan of the registry. Far
from comprehensive, but just to give you a sense of the current values
(yes, values in the frequency column), without the spacecraft
identification. please don’t concentrate on the actual values but more
on the diversity of data we have.

2048.85 MHz (E-S)
TC
1S-Band (Housekeeping), 1X-Band (IDHT Low Rate), 1X-Band (IDHT High
Rate)
S-Band
2203 MHz, 2206.5 MHz, 2218 MHz, 2227 MHz, 2254.5 MHz, 2265.5 MHz, 2284
MHz
Ku-Band
TBD
7.1808063 GHz (6 MHz BW)
X-Band 7156.53 MHz
X-Band 7166 MHz (CMD 10-2000 b/s and RNG), Ka-Band 34.45 GHz (No CMD or
RNG)
8190.0 MHz (primary) and 2252.5 MHz (demonstration purposes only)
8429.938271 MHz, 8427.222 MHz (noncoherent)
3947-52 MHz (C-Band)
Category B (Deep Space) D/L X-Band  U/L X-Band
X-Band, Ka-Band (Category B (Deep Space)
2044.25 MHz (center Frequency for TC)
2225 MHz (S-E), 2048.85 MHz (E-S)
Frequency pair unknown at this time
Around 14 GHz
S-Band 2215 MHz, S-Band 2039 MHz, X-Band 8.025-8.040 GHz
Ku-Band (14005.0 MHz (V); 14499 MHz(H)); SHF-Band 8397.5 (RHCP)
NA - ground use only
Around 2000
C-band to be determined from 5000 - 5010MHz and Ku-band to be determined
from 13750 - 14500MHz
Fdownlink=[2225.025+-n*3.069]MHz,
n=0,1,2,3,4;Fdownlink=(240/221)*Fuplink
N/A
Ground Use Only (Satellite 5850 MHz - 6426 MHz)
Around 14 GHz
29.1 GHz-29.3 GHz, 19400 MHz-19600 MHz
X-Band 8420 MHz (TLM, RS 10-18 Kb/s Turbo),  Ka-Band 32.02 GHz (Carrier
Only - Radio Science)
Around 8400 Mhz and 32000 MHz
2210.0 MHz TBD
2025-2110 MHz. Center frequency has not been determined
HRIT 2040.9 MHz, LRIT 2037.64 MHz
145.870, 145.930, 2405.00 MHz; 145.870 - 145.920 MHz (Transponder)

I stopped way before reaching the end of the registry…

> As you pointed out:
>
> that the reliability of that data is unknown for
> various reasons, such as: data was not entered properly by the
> operator,
> data was not provided by the requestor, frequencies were changed from
> the time of the registration request to the time of the launch and the
> requestor never sent the information back to the registry operator
>
> Do you have any faith that if we were to attempt to apply the
> “separation by frequency bands” approach that we would have
> success at the 95% plus level, or would we be more at the 75% or 50%
> level?

can’t tell. I just want to point out that while, on paper, the
frequency separation might be a good idea, in practice, the registry
info we have does not provide that reliable data.

> As for “clear procedures”, yes, we do understand absolutely the
> need for this, for you as SANA Operaotr and for the user / requestor
> community.

yeah, just to point out our expectation of the outcome of this
discussion, from the operator point of view.

Regards, Marc.