[CESG] Comment on the CSS Area portion of the CCSDS strategic plan

Barkley, Erik J (3970) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jul 31 20:57:49 UTC 2015

Nestor,

I took a quick look at the strategic goals for the CSS area in the CCSDS strategic plan and I can report the following:

1) the first goal of defining a cross support architecture has been met and can be removed from the plan.
2) the remaining goals are okay as is. I don't see any need to revise the wording etc.
3) there may be a need to indicate some sort of relationship with regard to management of space internetworking but that will need further coordination with SIS at a minimum and potentially other areas of CCSDS. Also I'm not sure if this would be stated as a strategic goal as such.
5) Forward frame is seen as an intermediate stepping stone to ease transition to DTN/bundle protocol data flow.  Not sure if that should be indicated as a strategic goal for the area (do you want more internal facing strategic goals?)
4) as part of the registry revision policy, the idea of OID (ISO object identifiers) spanning all of CCSDS has been proposed.  Presumably the CSS area already having registries in place that define OIDs for the appropriate CSS area standards would be supportive of this effort but I don't think that is really a CSS area goal. Perhaps it is something for the system engineering area or a general consideration as to how these kinds of things end up being expressed in the strategic plan (or not).

Best regards,

-Erik