[CESG] Re: [SSG] [SANA #5270] AW: SCID assignments / Frequency Band Table

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 5 17:42:47 UTC 2015

Gents,

I have no problem with consulting with Enrico on the deails.  But I do want to point out that what I think we need in this case is not a careful parseing of whether  S-Band is 2-4 GHz (IEEE) vs 2.60 – 3.95 GHz (Waveguide), but a small set of “Band Bins” and the associated frequencies, that will give us some SCID assignment breathing room.   I proposed that we create these “Band Bins”.  I’ve augmented those proposed Band Bins, below, with the frequencies that they include.

Purely based on pragmatic considerations I would suggest that we create “Band Bins” that looked like this:

·Everything below S-Band (HF, VHF, UHF, L)   0-2 GHz
·S-Band & C-Band   2-8 GHz
·X-Band   8-12 GHz
·K-Band (Ku, K, Ka) 12-40 GHz
·None or unstated

If we adopt this set of “Bins” or something similar, driven by a desire to partition the whole frequency spectrum into a small set of Bins, then it does not matter if UHF is wider or narrower, it is just a part of “Bin 1”, everything below S-Band (0-2 Ghz).

Regardless, let’s see what Enrico has to say when he is available.

Cheers, Peter