[CESG] Re: [SSG] [SANA #5270] AW: SCID assignments

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Aug 1 00:27:44 UTC 2015

Dear Marc,

I think that we need to be explicit in the (revised and extended) form to
provide a check box for “flight-less birds”.  I think we should make this
explict on the form for the future.  It may be that organizations will
still wish to use something like a “-SIM” suffix, but I think that is
their perogative.

For the existing SCID assignemnts I think that a lot of the S/C entries do
include “-SIM” or “-TEST”.  I think we can do an initial “triage” of the
assignments and then verify these with the agencies (with the usual amount
of cajoling, prompting, pleading and hand-holding).

In the proposed changes to the Spacecraft registry I also included a
provision for one or more optional alias names.  These could include all
sorts of local pre- and post- launch naming conventions.  For instance the
two JPL MER rovers, now known as Spirit and Opportunity, were known
pre-launch as MER-A and MER-B, and in planning were known as MER-2 and
MER-1.

Regards, Peter

On 7/31/15, 12:22 PM, "Marc Blanchet" <info at sanaregistry.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Bonsoir Jean-Marc,
>>
>> I hope you have a relaxing weekend.  I am glad to hear that you like
>> the
>> OID idea, it gives us the best way to provide unqiue, persistent, IDs
>> for
>> all spacecraft and simulators.  We have right now concieved this as a
>> flat
>> namespace, but it could also adopt the approach of a master OID for a
>> spacecraft and sub-names for the real bird, simulators, etc.  That is
>> separate subject, but I did want to point it out as a possibility.
>>
>> I defer to Marc as to what is the best approach for keeping the names
>> in
>> the database normalized, but do recognize, as Jean-Marc pointed out,
>> that
>> several names in the database now have ³-sim² or ³-simulator²
>> qualifiers
>> appended.  From a quick review it looks like this may be true for
>> roughly
>> 5% of the entries.  We will get some leverage from moving these to a
>> ³Frequency = None² table, but not as much as we might.  Whether we
>> continue this naming pattern in the future is open to discussion, but
>> I do
>> understand Marc¹s concern.
>>
>> Based on this I think that we can adopt Jean-Marc¹s phased approach
>> of
>> first splitting off the ³Frequency = None² table and then sorting
>> the rest
>> into frequency bins. However, since this is essentially a table
>> attribute
>> that allows sorting I suspect that when we create the ³Frequency =
>> None²
>> attribute in the table we will have also created the fields for the
>> other
>> ³bins² as well.
>>
>> Please Marc, confirm if this is correct?
>
>we can do that.
>
>However, I’m concerned that we will be relying on a name extension
>(such as -sim), used not necessarily consistently, to know if a
>spacecraft id is not used in real space.
>
>Marc.
>

>> Once this is done we will need to assign the right frequency bin
>> attributes to those S/C where it is obvious, and to then do the sleuth
>> work to determine the correct bins for those where it is ambiguous.
>> That
>> will take more time, but it is something like a 5-10% effect.  We will
>> already have achieved 90% of the separation and I believe that, in
>> itself,
>> will give us a lot of breathing room.
>>
>> Does this sound like it is overall a workable approach?
>>
>> Best regards, Peter
>>

>> On 7/31/15, 7:56 AM, "Soula Jean-Marc" <Jean-Marc.Soula at cnes.fr>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry for the confusion : I do not recommend to modify names, I just
>>> say
>>> there are names today that reflect the test/simulator nature of the

>>> 31401 Toulouse Cedex 9 - France
>>> Tel.: +33 (0)5 61 2 74647