[CESG] Request for new proposed SANA Steering group (SSG) members

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Apr 1 20:03:15 UTC 2015

Dear SANA Stering Group (SSG) members,

During this past week we held an SSG meeting on Friday afternoon, from 1430-1600.  The SANA report and a presentation on SANA restructuring are attached.  In these materials you will see that there is a belief that the SSG may have some expanded role during the coming months since some specific changes to how the SANA will be structured and used are in work.

In attendance at the SSG meeting were: Blanchet,  Schiltknecht, and Shames.  We discussed this low participation with the CESG on Monday, 30 March, and they recommended that we ask for some new members.  This is also motivated by the following: retirements of Mike Kearney and Martin Pilgram (long term members), and the lack of consistent participation due to CMC members typically being available only at alternate meetings.

Here are the current SSG members:

  *   audric.schiltknecht at viagenie.ca<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/audric.schiltknecht--at--viagenie.ca>
  *   info at sanaregistry.org<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/info--at--sanaregistry.org>
  *   jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/jean-marc.soula--at--cnes.fr>
  *   kearneysolutions at gmail.com<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/kearneysolutions--at--gmail.com>
  *   kelvin.nichols at nasa.gov<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/kelvin.nichols--at--nasa.gov>
  *   marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/marc.blanchet--at--viagenie.ca>
  *   mike.kearney at nasa.gov<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/mike.kearney--at--nasa.gov>
  *   osvaldo.peinado at dlr.de<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/osvaldo.peinado--at--dlr.de>
  *   peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov<http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/options/ssg/peter.m.shames--at--jpl.nasa.gov>

Three of these are SANA operator team, two (really one) are retired, one is a Secretariat member responsible for the SANA contract.

We would like to solicit new members for the SSG.  As stated in the CCSDS SANA Yellow Book, 313x0y1:

3.7 SANA STEERING GROUP

A SANA Steering Group (SSG) is appointed by the CMC to provide to the SANA operator technical and programmatic guidance related to ongoing operational and policy matters. The SSG is delegated responsibility for oversight of SANA operations, validation and confirmation of SANA operations, and acting as the first level of appeal for issues. In the event of issues with registries, policies, or practices, the SANA operator may ask the SSG for guidance. SANA issues to be resolved by the SSG should be sent to ssg at sanaregistry.org. The Membership of the SANA Steering Group is determined and approved by the CMC.

As needed, the SSG will meet with the SANA operator during CCSDS working meetings. Otherwise the SSG will work electronically or by teleconference as issues arise.

New SSG members must be appointed by the CMC, but I think we should first poll the CESG to make sure that the areas have a chance to propose new members with the  necessary technical interest and background.  This is especially the case if the proposed changes to the SANA diretory structures are adopted.   Those are described the attached "CCSDS Name & Number Registries" ppt file.  Note particularly pages 12-14 where some fundamental re-structuring of the three sets of registry types is proposed.  The SSG, with renewed membership, should have a role in reviewing these proposed changes and the changes to the SANA YB that are in discussion.

Note that there is no specific size specified for the SSG, but that good engineering practice would be to keep it as small and focused as possible.  My own recommendation is that the members, aside from the SANA operators themselves, number no more than five to seven (5-7).  Right now we effectively have four (4, Nichols, Pienado, Shames, and Soula).

Would you CESG and present SSG members please give this some thought and identify some possible new candidates?  I propose that we discuss them via email and then hold a telecon to arrive at a suitable list for proposal to the CMC.

Would you please propose new SSG candidates no later than the end of April 2015?  I will schedule a telecon for the end of the month where we will review the proposed candidates and also the re-structured approach and process change descriptions.

Best regards, Peter