[CESG] Fw: Overlap identifications inputs

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Tue Jun 24 07:48:51 EDT 2014

Below are my inputs on the overlaps issues:

Erik,

#1 (MOC v TTC Network Planning v SSI Planning): I wonder if there’s an overlap with SIS here, at least in the short term.  In the short term, SIS would like to know what the link schedule *is* (as provided to us by somebody), but we’re not developing any mechanisms to try to develop new schedules.  As a concrete example: the contact graph routing that’s part of the SSI will route bundles over the links it’s given, but it takes those links as axiomatic.  For there to be an overlap with (what I perceive) CSS and MOIMS are doing would require the SSI to try to ‘suggest’ a future link schedule (establishment of particular links).  We certainly might do that in the far term (i.e. consume information about the POSSIBLE connectivity information and suggest an ‘optimal’ (given the known traffic patterns) link schedule) – but even that would be something to be worked back into the spacecraft operations THROUGH MOIMS and/or CSS.  [The problem is in fact solvable if you have complete information, but it takes a really big linear program to do it.]

So in the short term I don’t think there’s an overlap.  In the long term (ideally) I think the SSI will want to be able to get at the set of possible connectivity and work *with* MOIMS / CSS to schedule links – but I think this is an area for future coordination and not an overlap (?).  There’s probably a world of complexity here by the time you mix in physics, spacecraft schedules (incl. science, thermal, vibration, etc.), …  The good thing (from our perspective) is that we’re patient – no connectivity now, no problem, we’ll wait.

#2 (Monitor and Control) I’d like to sit down with you and talk about the relationship between SIS network monitor and control and the others.  To a first order, SIS monitor and control looks like Simple Network Monitor Protocol (SNMP) with Management Information Bases (MIBs) for, e.g., the bundle protocol (how many bundles has a node sent, received, retransmitted, etc. – [eventually] insert a new contact graph entry XXXXX) LTP (how many [red|green] LTP segments has a node sent / received, retransmitted, etc.), security (how many BP security authentication failures of what types have occurred).  The DTN Management Protocol that’s being worked with AES moves information like the above via DTN bundles (so that it can go multiple hops through the SSI).  The JPL and JSC MOIMS folks are doing SM&C monitoring and control over an SSI stack, so I *think* there’s some harmony there.  A lot of the DTN MP work is in defining the MIBs (specific to the SSI services) and how to encode those values and pack them into bundles for transport.  In one sense I see all this as pretty orthogonal to SM&C; on the other, it is effecting monitor and control of some parts of the spacecraft.

What’s above applies to single node management.  If you think of scheduling all of the links in the SSI as a whole then there’s certainly an element of cross support there.  Not sure what to do about that.

#7 (Time Series Representations):  I think you’re right here about no direct overlap.  I’m all for some common way of defining time series -- tell us what it is and provide e.g. link contact information to SIS in that format and we’ll be happy.  We’ve certainly got things internally that represent time-related events (e.g. contact schedules) but I don’t think we’re working any efforts to standardize such.

#3 (File Transfer) This applies only to ground?  That’s why there’s no overlap with SIS?  Actually here I think there *is* overlap if the ‘file’ is going end-to-end (it should use CFDP/BP).  If this is defining a mechanism to e.g. ship a bunch of frames in a file from one place to another then I think it’s an application (running OVER a file transfer protocol).  If this really is just a registry of filetypes, fine.  [I’m unclear on / uneasy about where this ended up.]

#5 (Architectures vs. Reference Models) Yeah, this got a be a mess.  FWIW I think at least the CSS and SSI documents are consistent, but I also think we have way too many documents with ‘architecture’ in the title.

                        --keith