[CESG] Fw: Reference Implementations

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Sat Nov 2 16:21:20 EST 2013

----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 02/11/2013 19:32 -----

From:
"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov>
To:
"ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org" <ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org>,
"Nestor.Peccia at esa.int" <Nestor.Peccia at esa.int>, "Tai, Wallace S
(JPL-9000)[Jet Propulsion Laboratory]" <wallace.s.tai at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc:
"Shames, Peter M (JPL-312G)[Jet Propulsion Laboratory]"
<peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date:
31/10/2013 21:09
Subject:
Reference Implementations

Secretariat and CESG (Nestor/Wallace):  I think that somehow we need to
figure out which of the software implementations that are downloadable
from our website are qualified as ?Reference Implementations? and label
them on the website appropriately.
http://public.ccsds.org/implementations/software.aspx

I think the implications of ?Reference Implementation? are that (1) It has
been  certified to have tested all of the features of the protocol
according to the (P)ICS and the Yellow Book Test Plan,  and (2) It can be
used by customers to help verify the compliance of their developed CCSDS
products.

However, the Secretariat has no way to do that, having no technical
background.

Nestor, Wallace, I?m passing this question to you.  My first two
paragraphs start with ?I think??   Do you agree?  If so, how do you
suggest we proceed to get a reliable label of ?Reference Implementation?
on products that qualify?

I believe that this is supported by some statements in the Strategic Plan
about goals of CCSDS to have an online library (of Reference
Implementations?) though at the moment I am working from memory on that.

Copying Peter since this discussion came up in his Boot Camp pitch.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
Lead Technology Manager
Mission Operations Laboratory
NASA MSFC EO-01
+1-256-544-2029

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.