[CESG] New version of the CCSSD Strategic Plan

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Mon Mar 4 12:08:41 EST 2013

Peter and Erik

Thanks for the redlined version and the comments.

I would like first of all to give the rationale of issuing today the
Strategic Plan.

It is worth to have this new version than the 2006 one (even with some
unresolved issues). Comments from all Areas have been included.
CCSDS has established during the Orlando meeting a "Big picture"
Group.This new strategic Plan version will help them (more details at
Bordeaux)

You will find below my comments.

Erik's comments

the overall strategic plan lists such goals as ?large and measurable
majority of all civilian spacecraft? etc. utilizing CCSDS recommendations
in the 2016 and another goal of 40% ?all? spacecraft in the 2020
timeframe.  It is nice to say that we will measure things but then there
is no discussion of how this is to be measured..  Also, there is no
statement as to what the current ?gaps? are relative to achieving the 2016
goal, and therefore no real sense of how much work we need to do.
[Nestor] Agreed. I took out the word measurable for the time being. To be
discussed at bordeaux.

CCSDS in recent years has established SANA operations. There is no
discussion of this in any of the area charters or in the overall CCSDS
strategic plan. I believe some discussion of this should be here with
regard to overall strategy. Perhaps to assist with my first comment we may
wish to consider that SANA could become part of the measurement strategy.
We already have all of the spacecraft identifiers, to the best of my
knowledge, registered in SANA.  Perhaps the CMC would like to consider an
additional step of having mission utilization of recommendations
registered in SANA.  It seems that this could begin to form the basis of
determining what recommendations are adopted by what missions. Granted it
does require a fair amount of work and process to be figured out but
perhaps this could be one of the strategic goal of SANA (i.e. to help
foster measurability of CCSDS standards utilization).
[Nestor] Sana added. To be discussed at Bordeaux.

a suggestion:  how about organizing each of the area?s objectives and
goals in a time ordered fashion ? it seems to me that would allow the
reader to understand the logic for some of the area goals a little bit
better. Maybe that is just an editing function?
[Nestor] Fully agreed. I was thinking in some graphical way, but it is
time consuming. To be discussed at Bordeaux.

a bit specific, but inter-area:  the cross support architecture, although
listed as a strategic goal for the systems engineering area is in fact
being carried out in the cross support services area to the best of my
knowledge. I have booked this in the cross support services area in my
update. I will agree that this is a strategic goal for the systems
engineering area in general ? does this mean that we are going to transfer
this working group to a different area?
[Nestor] I believe it belongs to SEA. If you and Peter agree, I would
recommend to transfer it to SEA.

I believe some further work is probably required on inter-area strategic
alignment. A case in point is that the SLS area lists development on
standards regard to MSPA techniques. I can tell you that MSPA tends to be
a service management nightmare -- at least as far as DSN management goes
with regard to Mars ? it is the most complicated scenario.  I have
adjusted the cross support services area to properly complement the
strategic goal that is listed for SLS.  Also, I would not all be surprised
to see proper SSI management span SIS, CSS, and MOIMS.  I believe this
will be an interesting discussion at the CESG Bordeaux meeting.
[Nestor] To be discussed at Bordeaux.

Peter's comments
 "metrics" but no means or plan to measure them.  They do sound good, and
I'd not propose taking them out, but we might want to try and define some
task that actually measures how well we are doing.  Of course, this can
easily turn into yet another unfunded mandate.
[Nestor] Dangerous. It can backfired to us. To be discussed at Bordeaux. I
have taken out of the text the word "measurable"

We should add something about how we see SANA participating in CCSDS since
it is taking an increasingly important role.
[Nestor] OK. added

Secretariat function.  In fact, maybe we need a section about secretariat
functions, including web site, SANA, chief tech editor, publications, etc.
 These are important (and costly), but are not mentioned even though they
are essential to the operations of CCSDS.
[Nestor] My humble opinion is that this is an strategic plan and secretary
functions belongs more to operations (not strategy). To be discussed at
Bordeaux.

That cross support architecture item Erik mentioned is a peculiar one.  It
really is SEA work, but it got housed in CSS.  And then it got staffed
essentially by Takahiro and me, the SEA AD and DAD.  It's more than a a
bit ironic, but it is a CSS area task at this point.
[Nestor] Fully agreed. It belongs to SEA

As for SEA tasks, I left them as they are and added one that I think we
will get some actual support for, the timeline exchange.  Two of the other
tasks are really ambitious given the level of support that has been
typically been provided by CCSDS agencies for SEA tasks.  These, reference
information architecture, and time services architecture are needed, that
is not the issue. But finding the resources to accomplish them in a timely
way seems problematic at best.  I'd leave them in the list, but let's all
recognize that they are highly speculative given recent history.
[Nestor] Agreed.

I do not know what the "CCSDS Open Source Library" is nor where it might
live.
[Nestor] CCSDS SW libraries implementing oyur standards and living under
SANA. To be discussed at Bordeaux.

I question if we want to state outright that we will develop an new
optical comm link layer instead of figuring out how we might make the new,
unified, "Space Data Link Protocol integrating the best features of TM,
TC, AOS, and Proximity-1 and providing a common link layer transfer frame
format able to satisfy future space data link needs" do the job.  There is
also in SLS what looks like a MOIMS-style data exchange spec for weather
that I thought was already under discussion within the Nav WG, but I might
be mistaken.
[Nestor] To be discussed at Bordeaux.

ciao
nestor
This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.