[CESG] CCSDS Startegic Plan Draft Issue 8

Moury Gilles Gilles.Moury at cnes.fr
Wed Aug 28 11:50:59 EDT 2013

Dear Nestor,

Please find herebelow my opinion on your issues :

ISSUES

  *   Is the Tactical Plan the CWE View showing Charters, Projects, Resources, Schedule ?
YES : the CWE framework contains all the details of the WG activities. It is regularly updated by WG chairs. It can be easily accessed through the CWE interface.
  *   Is the CCSDS Strategic Roadmap the Strategic Plan showing the mapping between CCSDS Technical Goals, Area sub-goals and existing / at work / future recommended standards and practices ?
YES :  Strategic plan could be presented as a roadmap, each area sub-goal being a line of the roadmap with several standards (projects) associated to it. CCSDS technical goals related to each area sub-goal could be easily listed.
  *   Do we use a timeline or not ? (i.e. By 2018 ....., By 2020 ..., By 2022 ....?
YES : For on-going projects, timeline is already available in the framework. It can be easily reflected in the strategic plan/roadmap. For future projects, tentative date for the publication of the standard can be put in the plan. Timeline could extend 6 years and be updated every 2 years
  *   Do we show interdependencies between WGs and Projects in the Strategic Plan ?
NO : WGs do not belong to strategic plan, they are purely organisational.
  *   Do we show in our mapping (CCSDS tech. goals, Area goals, BB/MB) all books to be produced in the future ?
YES : all blue/magenta books likely to be produced in a 6 year timeframe
  *   Do we show  in our mapping (CCSDS tech. goals, Area goals, BB/MB) all books produced in the past ?
YES : limited to active standards (BB/MB). This is needed to give the overall picture.
  *   Do we also include GBs ?
NO : for GB supporting BB this is not needed. For standalone GB serving their own purpose YES.
  *   How do we represent the mapping ? and once the option is selected who will do the job (CESG, technical support, ?)
Option 1b seems appropriate. Text form has to be generated by area while graphical roadmap form (option 4) could be easily generated by secretariat.

For the comments on the current version (v8) of  the strategic plan, I agree that SLS listed strategic goals are too specific at the moment because they map individual projects. We could easily aggregate those in area goals covering a suite of standards in a given domain (e.g. : aggregate l & m, aggregate q & r).

Best regards,

Gilles