[CESG] New Work Item Announcement: CFDP Refresh WG

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Thu Aug 1 09:21:27 EDT 2013

Keith, I may have missed some traffic on this topic here but for the CFDP
updates there are another couple of parameters coming into play here in ESA:

Our Euclid project has adopted CFDP and specs will have to be sent out to
industry for the development. We have a period of grace until the end of the
year but after that we will have some real issues if the new Blue book is not
on the table (at least in draft form)

I have support for Dai for this year but not for next, and if I don't place
the contract with him shortly, I will lose the budget completely

I have support for the modification and interoperability testing  for the
next 9 months but after that the picture is not rosy

When I see your proposal below and a couple of the other discussions we seem
to be stretching out the work to a point that it will be incompatible with
the above constraints.  I'm therefore quite concerned.

Another point I would make is that extended procedures really complicate the
documents and lead to a serious "wood for trees" problem. Removing  these
first will make the other changes trivial and also make the spec far more
readable.

My plea here is to get moving asap on agreeing the changes and do it all in
one go in one working group. Otherwise, I really fear we will not have the
resources available to support the WG and equally importantly Euclid will
have to deviate from the CCSDS spec.

Please could you reconsider,

Regards,
//ct