[CESG] FW: CMC action: increased use of teleconferences and webconferences

Barkley, Erik J (3170) erik.j.barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 28 16:26:59 EDT 2012

Adrian,

To the best of my recollection each area included a slide about this in the CESG report to CMC at the Spring meetings.  The CSS Area WG webex mtgs/teleconferences have proceeded along similar lines as that indicated during the CMC report in Darmstadt.  I have recently followed up with Nick re use of what  ISO Webex facilities and plan to give it trial run in the near future.   As I recall the main constraining factor for the CSS Area WG is the timezone spread - not so hard to arrange teleconferences if the spread is contained to 9 hours or less (typically the US West Coast has to be on-line early and Europe has to stay late), but it gets more interesting when, for example, JAXA representatives participate.  For the CSS Area it has only worked thanks to sacrifice of personal time at a very late hour - typically our JAXA colleagues have to join at 11 pm local - the alternative is late in the day for US west coast, early in the Morning for JAXA and ~2 am for European colleagues.   So I believe the increase use of telecon really only gets us so far - it does not automatically mean greater working group participation, etc.

-Erik