[CESG] CCSDS update to CFDP

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Wed Oct 24 05:24:23 EDT 2012

Keith, I will participate in this and agree with most of your suggestions.
The class 2 procedures need to be kept as we are using them on point on point
links and I will have to have a think about the SFO. Yes, lets get rid of the
extended procedures in favour of DTN and lest provide some better guidance to
classes of implementation.

Regards,
//ct

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Scott, Keith L." <kscott at mitre.org>                                                                                                                  |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org" <sis-dtn at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                               |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |"Osvaldo Peinado \(osvaldo.peinado at dlr.de\)" <osvaldo.peinado at dlr.de>, "CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG Exec	\(cesg at mailman.ccsds.org\)"   |
  |<cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>, "scottmagaldi at verizon.net" <scottmagaldi at verizon.net>, "Rodney Grubbs	\(rodney.grubbs at nasa.gov\)" <rodney.grubbs at nasa.gov>  |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |19/10/2012 18:30                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CESG] CCSDS update to CFDP                                                                                                                           |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Greetings,

As you may know, CCSDS requires periodic updating of existing specifications.
CFDP is currently up for review, and I’d like to start the process of forming
a CCSDS WG to do this.  Formally this will result in a Birds-of-a-Feather
(BoF) meeting at the next CCSDS meeting.  An excerpt from the CCSDS
Procedures manual concerning the activities of BoFs is:

      2.3.4 BIRDS-OF-A-FEATHER GROUPS
      The sole purpose of a Birds-Of-a-Feather group (BOF) is to do the
      necessary work to form a
      WG. The work of the BOF is to articulate the technical concept, usually
      in the form of a brief
      white paper, draft a charter for the proposed WG, appoint someone who
      is able to be chair,
      and demonstrate that resources can be secured to do the work. BOFs are
      formed to get
      support for establishing an eventual CCSDS WG, not to work the details
      of a particular
      technical concept. In the process of determining the technical content
      of the proposed WG a
      BOF is expected to identify and disclose any potential patent issues.
      Many BOFs do not turn
      into WGs for a variety of reasons, such as lack of agreement by enough
      people on a focus for
      the work, a lack of credible sponsorship, or a lack of alignment with
      the overall goals of
      CCSDS.

      Although many BOFs will be initiated from inside the CCSDS organization
      in order to
      respond to concrete or prospective customer needs, anyone (from any
      organization and not
      necessarily already affiliated with CCSDS) can start a BOF with a view
      towards convincing
      an AD that the project is worthwhile and is a positive contribution to
      the work of CCSDS. A
      face-to-face meeting is useful for this, although it is not necessary
      to wait for a meeting
      opportunity to get some work done, such as setting up an informal
      mailing list, writing and
      circulating a CCSDS concept paper that outlines the proposed technical
      scope of the work,
      and starting to discuss a charter. BOF meetings have a very different
      tone than WG
      meetings; their focus is to create a good charter with good milestones,
      and to prove that there
      are enough resources potentially available to do the work needed in
      order to create standards.
      At such time as a BOF feels that it has enough agreement to propose
      formation of a WG, it
      must schedule a meeting with an AD to present its case. The AD makes
      the initial
      determination as to whether to advocate the work further, to recommend
      more BOF work on
      the charter and resource plan, or to reject the proposal. If the AD
      recommends acceptance of
      the proposal, the draft charter and resource plan, accompanied by a
      CCSDS concept paper
      outlining its technical scope, is forwarded to the CESG for a decision.
      If the AD rejects the
      proposal, the BOF can appeal to the CESG chairman for a wider hearing,
      or it can simply
      dissolve. BOFs initiated from inside the CCSDS organization have a
      lifetime of no more
      than one year.

To ‘kick-start’ the BoF, I’ve put some basic material on what might be done
by a CFDP refresh WG on the CCSDS Wiki:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/fm/wiki/SitePages/SIS.aspx

Let’s try using this as a way to identify issues to be addressed and start
the work of the BoF.

NOTE: we can form the bof pretty asynchronously, but we should NOT actually
start the work that the WG proposes to undertake.  So I view identifying what
technical changes might be proposed to CFDP at a high level as OK (since we
need to know how much work the WG is going to have to do) but let’s not get
into arguing fine details over how such might be done.

NOTE to CESG: Please redistribute this to people you think might have
interest in the work.

                        --keith

Dr. Keith Scott
Office: +1.703.983.6547
Principal Engineer, E535
kscott at mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation
M/S H300
7515 Colshire Drive
McLean, VA 22102

Area Director, CCSDS Space Internetworking Services

MITRE self-signs its own certificates.  Information about the MITRE PKI
Certificate Chain is available from http://www.mitre.org/tech/mii/pki/