[Secretariat] RE: [CESG] RE: ISO codes_of_conduct.pdf

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Sat Oct 20 08:05:05 EDT 2012

I would suggest that we incorporate the ISO standards as is, into our procedures, and then add some supplemental CCSDS rules.  I think that it's best to adopt the ISO document unaltered and supplement with additional CCSDS paragraphs, rather than to modify or "adapt" the ISO document.

Something like this:

CCSDS completely adopts the ISO Code of Conduct for Technical Work within the processes of the organization.
<Insert ISO Code of Conduct here, with version date>
Additionally, CCSDS also adopts the following supplemental additions as the CCSDS Code of Conduct for Technical Work:

Respect Intellectual Property

We will not plagiarize the work of others that is revealed during the standards development process. We will notify our colleagues of our intent to publish and provide them with a courtesy summary of the content before proceeding with any publication related to our standardization work.

Confidentiality of predecisional technical discussions

We will keep internal group discussions/tradeoffs/disputes in confidence, and will not publish such tradeoffs in public fora until agreed to by the technical community.  When such matters are publicly represented, the individual positions of our technical staff will not be personally identifiable without their permission.

I suggested that last section after hearing some of the issues that MDHC has been dealing with.

Also, in the future, maybe Nick should advised ISO of the issues we're dealing with, and provide them as suggested additions to the ISO Code of Ethics.  At some point ISO may adopt it, and we can forego our "adapted" (versus "adopted") standard Code of Ethics.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
Lead Technology Manager
Mission Operations Laboratory