[CESG] RE: Results of CESG poll - Proximity-1 Space Link Protocol-Data Link Layer

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Feb 28 09:59:23 EST 2012

Adrian,
        I noticed the comments by Keith Scott and I already wrote to Greg
to comment about which comments can be solved at once and which one should
be converted to RIDs (author SLP WG Chair on behalf of Keith I would
propose) for discussion within Agency Review.

For the very first comment,  it looks as they do not in conflict as there
is guarantee within a session but not across session. It may be this
should be highlighted somehow in section 2 too.

For sure you will get SLS position soon but I propose not delaying the CMC
poll for this.

Regards

Gian Paolo

From:
"Hooke, Adrian J (9000)" <adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov>
To:
CCSDS Secretariat <tomg at aiaa.org>, CESG <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>, "Kazz,
Greg J (313B)" <greg.j.kazz at jpl.nasa.gov>
Date:
28/02/2012 15:43
Subject:
[CESG] RE: Results of CESG poll - Proximity-1 Space Link Protocol-Data
Link Layer
Sent by:
cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org

RE: CESG-P-2012-02-002 Approval to release CCSDS 211.0-P-4.1,  Proximity-1
Space Link Protocol?Data Link Layer (Pink Book, Issue 4.1) for CCSDS
Agency review Results of CESG poll beginning 13 February 2012 and ending
27 February 2012:

I note a large number of comments from Keith Scott under the category
?Approve Unconditionally?. Some of these ? particularly the ambiguities
about duplicate data that are highlighted below ? seem to be fundamental
technical issues  that should be resolved before inflicting the document
on Agency review?
Keith, Greg ? comments?

2.2.3.2
How do we reconcile 2.2.3.2:
The Sequence Controlled service ensures that data are reliably transferred
across the space link and delivered in order, without gaps, errors, or
duplications within a single communication session without COP-P
resynchronization during the session (see 4.3.2).

with Note 2 in section 4.3.2.2:
2 The mechanisms provided in this specification will not eliminate
duplicate data associated with the transition between the end of one
session and the beginning of the next. Elimination of this problem is left
to the controlling data system.

------
2.2.3.2
I think where it says: "...without gaps, errors, or duplications wthin a
single communication session *without COP-P resynchronization during the
session*..."?

might be better phrased as:
"... without gaps, errors, or duplications within a single communication
session *when COP-P resynchronization is not required during the session
(see 4.3.2).*"

AND it seems like there may be duplicates anyway if there are other
sessions (as above)?
----

4.3.2.2 (and Reliable Data Transfer in general) Is the user informed of
whether COP-P resynchronization has taken place during the course of a
single communication session?  If not, how does the receiver know if there
may be duplicate data?  Does detecting resynchronization require setting
the MIB parameter Resync_Local to 'false'?  If the user is required to
monitor the RESYNC variable (7.1.2) to detect resynchronization, is there
any guarantee that the user will detect the change (that is, if the user
reads 1/second, will they notice the resynch event?)

Note 1 in section 4.3.2.2 -- how is the delivery of duplicate data due to
factors outside the scope of the Proximity-1 protocol?  It seems that
duplicate data may be delivered because the
Proximity-1 protocol does not detect duplication across resynchronization
events, but I suspect a more robust COP-like protocol *could*.  The point
is, the duplicate data is a result of the Prox-1 reliability mechanisms
not being robust across resynchronzation, not some sort of external
factor.

What are the 'bounds' on duplicate data reception associated with Note 2
in section 4.3.2.2?  Are all data received with 256 frames of a
communication session boundary suspect of duplication, e.g.?

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.