[CESG] US State Department: Leading with Diplomacy to Strengthen Stability in Space

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 18 16:11:35 EST 2011

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=39090

Remarks by Frank A. Rose
Deputy Assistant Secretary Bureau of Arms Control, Verification and Compliance
U.S. Department of State
USSTRATCOM Cyber and Space Symposium, Omaha, Nebraska
November 17, 2011

Prevention of Satellite Collisions

International cooperation is also essential to prevent future collisions through the sharing of information with other space-faring nations and our industry partners. As a result, we are seeking to improve our ability to share information with other space-faring nations as well as with our industry partners. The National Space Policy calls for international collaboration on the dissemination of orbital tracking information, including predictions of potentially hazardous conjunctions between orbiting objects. Such collaboration has the benefit of not only preserving the sustainability of space through the prevention of collisions, but improving our own capabilities to conduct expanded space object detection, characterization, and tracking and maintaining the space object catalogue. In coordination with U.S. Strategic Command, the Department of State is working to facilitate the rapid notification of space hazards via Conjunction Summary Messages by reaching out to all space-faring nations to ensure that the Joint Space Operations Center has reliable contact information for transmitting timely notification messages to both government and private sector satellite operations centers