[CESG] CESG Presentation to CMC / TC BB?

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Wed Nov 16 09:01:19 EST 2011

> Gippo
>
> From your presentation it is not clear that the book will be orange

The orange approach is clear from page 57 of "
v2.1-CESG-Report-to-CMC-Nov11.pptx" (C&S Reporting): Short (64, 128, 256
bit ) LDPC codes for uplink - Orange Book
However is true that NGU reports (page 63 of the ppt) that there is a
"NASA proposal for a new Telecommand Standard-2 ? NASA/JPL" despite NGU
has no conclusion/resolution. I mentioned verbally at CESG in boulder that
this new TC-2 was a kind of "brainstorming" with no immediate prosecution.
Sorry for the confusion caused.

> and
> if it is orange, why did you create a WG to produce a GB and a Orange
book ?

The Orange Book has been originally proposed in NGU by NASA/JPL but it
does not belong to NGU Charter.
The matter does belong to the C&S Charter and it has been integrated there
(see slide 57) without creating an additional WG but adding a related CWE
project (start of CMC poll requested).
This has been the procedure followed in the past and everybody agrees that
we do not want a proliferation of WGs. In addition the expertise to
comment on that book is in SLS-C&S.

The Orange Book is not limited by a strict template as BBs are.
In addition it is a unilateral effort (but profiting of comments by WG
members as far as possible).
For this reason an Orange Book is likely to contain also supporting
material (that would be good for a Green Book).

Finally a Green Book should exist for supporting approved standards and I
think that having Green Books supporting Orange Books would give a
misleading message.

> @ Erik: new CSTS FW Option 2a implies an inclusion of NGU (from an
> Orange book ) ????
>
> ciao