[CESG] Implementation of new CCSDS Patent Policy - ISSUES

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Fri Mar 18 11:49:24 EST 2011

That's exactly right Gian-Paolo.  I would hope that was what the original resolutions communicated before the email started.

To try to state it simply...  for any given patent (#XXXXXXX) the ISO declaration for only needs to be done once.  If you find it in the ISO database, you don't need to do it again.  We haven't spelled this out in the procedure, but I would guess that the framework item for a new project, when it uses a patent that is already in the database, should say "The ISO declaration form was already filled out by the patent holder for a previous (CCSDS or ISO) project.   This covers no new patented technology besides those with existing ISO forms."

Or something similar.

In the near term, we will have the WG chairs send ISO declaration forms to the Secretariat, and they will file the forms, and also submit to the ISO database for our CCSDS teams.  That way we can always go check and see what the CCSDS patent history is.  We will discuss in the future if we need (and can afford) a dedicated online CCSDS ISO patent declaration database.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01
256-544-2029