[CESG] Implementation of new CCSDS Patent Policy - ISSUES

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 17 20:12:19 EST 2011

The first of these says the WG chair should try to "secure" the license terms, but then says that this is not needed to approve a standard.  The second directly contradicts this and says that the Declaration Form must be complete before the document can be submitted to the CMC for approval.  The third says that the Declaration Form must be completed and signed before work on a new CCSDS document can commence.
It is not possible for both 1 & 2 to be true at the same time.   Or, if 1 is true then 2 must be false.  Either the form is required, or it is not.

Not at all true. The requirement is to get the ISO form signed, period. It is a desirement to also secure the exact proposed terms of any proposed license (as, for instance, the DVB-S guys have done), but it is not a requirement.

And do we want to have a part of the policy that says just what the penalty is for a "serious breach of professional  fiduciary responsibility to the standardization process"?

I think that Nestor would probably say: "Excommunication".

///a