[CESG] RE: [Secretariat] SEA-R-2011-03-001 - Information Systems Architecture Working Group

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 2 20:57:46 EST 2011

Peter: I would propose the following -

1.      We should first dissolve the current IPR-WG and IA-WG, since they have both been ineffective at meeting their chartered goals.

2.      You should ask "the International Planetary Data Alliance (IPDA) and other interested parties" to submit a formal request to CCSDS to charter this WG. Ask them to indicate their need, why they would like CCSDS to do the work, their community representation (which agencies and organizations they represent) and also to state their willingness to financially support the engineering operations of the new WG on the delivery schedule that is proposed.

3.      When we have that information we can weigh the technical benefits to CCSDS. Questions that will need to be answered include why this should be a global standard (when it appears to primarily represent the needs of the planetary science community) and if it truly is "cross cutting infrastructure that is applicable in a broader context than just mission operations", then how will the needs of other space mission disciplines be represented?

4.      After all of that is answered, we can pose a question to the CMC to see if they will be willing to sponsor an activity that primarily seems to come from outside CCSDS. While we in principle should be receptive to these kinds of requests, new WGs consume Secretariat and meeting space resources and the CCSDS benefits need to be weighed against the cost.

Best regards
Adrian