[CESG] PICS text in A02.1-Y-2.1d

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 28 15:12:12 EDT 2011

The key here is that CCSDS was set up in 1982 as a Consultative Committee, not as a treaty-bound standards organization. It was patterned in after the then-active CCITT/CCIR, who issued "recommendations":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU-T

"The international standards that are produced ...  are referred to as "Recommendations" (with the word ordinarily capitalized to distinguish its meaning from the ordinary sense of the word "recommendation"), as they become mandatory only when adopted as part of a national law."

CCSDS recommendations become standards only when they are adopted internationally, nationally or locally by an accredited standards development organization; this is reflected in the boilerplate of all CCSDS Recommended Standards, and the fact that CCSDS exists only by a charter agreement among the agencies, with no legally-binding authority.

The DLR proposal seems highly disruptive and would raise basic chartering issues, which would be a waste of time. What is broken here, and why do we need to spend resources and take big organizational risks in fixing it?

///adrian