[Secretariat] [CESG] IERS Questionnaire to survey opinion concerning a redefinition of UTC

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 21 11:16:14 EDT 2011

I agree completely with Peter. The proposal has always seemed to be flawed in that they want to change the basic meaning and definition of UTC itself: at one point in time it would be leap-second based and a picosecond later it would not. That seems likely to cause huge and unknown headaches for the far-flung embedded code-base that would have to be simultaneously updated at that precise picosecond. Why not simply define a new time code?

I think that CCSDS does need to take a firm stand on this. As Peter points out, the current proposal seems to have been formulated by narrow interests.

///adrian