[CESG] Magenta Book issue: "Profiles"

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 7 08:37:01 EST 2011

Ø  CT wrote: What ever is finally decided we shouldn't end-up with a proliferation of

Ø  CCSDS books. ….. I see nothing wrong, and very much support, defining

Ø  classes of protocol  in a single document as in the present CFDP book.

Chris: the downside is that every time you define a new class, you run the risk of opening the whole book up to RIDs. If we simply document new classes as thin, normative “Adaptation Profile” Annexes to the source Blue Book (each one its own Blue Book) we would avoid that problem.

Ø  What I would strongly object to is any retroactive change to the status and

Ø  process of the published and under preparation SOIS books. We have had many

Ø  discussions on whether these should be Blue or Magenta and in the end we

Ø  homed in on Magenta.

We homed-in on Magenta because they were simply service specs, without any protocol, and therefore they failed the “implementable and testable” test. Except that the SOIS-MTS book that just went out for review *does* seem to be implementable and testable; it points to a restricted set of the AMS service and protocol specs. So it sounds as though it should be Blue. Similarly, if you ever update any of the other current SOIS Magenta Books so that they specify implementable protocol, then they should probably transition to Blue.

///a