[CESG] Magenta Book issue: "Profiles"

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 4 17:26:08 EST 2011

Peter: I think that I agree with you. To mark the event, maybe we should take the rest of the week off?

I do think that the finer-grained "Adaptation" and "Utilization" categories are useful. I never liked the term "Application Profile" because it's too easy to confuse how the protocol is being applied with what the protocol does: that's because the word "Application" has another meaning (as in Application Layer protocol).

I also agree strongly with your assertion that if a specification is implementable, does have interoperability properties, and clearly needs to be tested, then it's a Blue Book. Mike Kearney said this another way in a private note to me earlier, in the context of interoperability testing:

I would advocate that regardless, we get to the point where Blue Books *always* require prototyping and Magenta books *never* require prototyping.  Having a state where Magenta books sometimes do and sometimes don't require prototyping would be a bad thing.  And I still like the idea of reading the book, and if you think it requires prototyping, then it must be blue... if not, it must be magenta.

So the litmus test between Blue and Magenta appears to be as stated above: it is implementable, it does have interoperability properties, and it clearly needs to be tested.

If that's true, then within the Blue category do we have the following? -

CCSDS Recommended Standard (something that internally contains a native specification developed by CCSDS)
CCSDS Recommended Standard: Adaptation Profile (something that adopts/adapts a native specification contained somewhere else)
CCSDS Recommended Standard: Utilization Profile (something that specifies how to use one or more Blue Books to perform a particular function)

It's interesting that we seem to be massaging our "adopt, adapt, develop" mantra here, by squeezing it out to "adopt, adapt, develop, use". The word Adaptation seems particularly right,  since one definition is: a written work (as a novel) that has been recast in a new form; "the play is an adaptation of a short novel".

///a