[CESG] Magenta, Blue and Profiles

Shames, Peter M (313B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 15 17:11:40 EDT 2011

Adrian, et al,

In general I agree completely with this approach.  I do have three comments, however:

 1.  Application profile is a perfectly good term of art that is also reflected in the ISO PICS document I referenced earlier.  Relabeling it "utilization profile" does not in any way change the nature of the specification.
 2.  For a Utilization Profile we will need a set of guidelines that reflect just what the expected structure and content are to be, and what testing must be done.
 3.  Similarly, for an Adaptation Profile we will need a set of guidelines that reflect just what the expected structure and content are to be, and what testing must be done.

I also note that this change will clear up an issue in the current draft CCSDS Procedures Yellow Book that addressed the need to do implementation testing of Application Profile Magenta Books.  With Application Profiles changed to Blue Books there should be no need to mandate interoperability testing for any Magenta Books, but I believe that the general requirement on "implementation experience", should remain for Magenta Books:

Sec B2.3.c, CCSDS Recommended Practice (Magenta Book)

Converting a CCSDS Draft Practice to a CCSDS Recommended Practice is always preceded by a successful formal agency review. Generally, only a specification for which significant implementation experience has been obtained may be elevated to the CCSDS Recommended Practice level. The WG chair is responsible for documenting the specific implementations that qualify the specification for advancement.

Regards, Peter