[CESG] RE: Interest in forming a BoF to follow up on SDR standardisation?

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 15 11:17:03 EDT 2010

Ø  My own opinion is that, since CCSDS is dealing with cross-support,

Actually, the words “cross-support” do not appear anywhere in the CCSDS charter http://public.ccsds.org/about/charter.aspx :

Purposes
The purposes of the CCSDS are as follows:
   1. to provide a forum whereby interested agencies may exchange technical information relative to the development or application of standards for space-related information technologies;
   2. to identify those common elements of space data systems which, if implemented in a standardized way, will result in significant enhancements in the operation of future cooperative space missions, or in the sharing of mission products;
   3. to develop through consensus appropriate Recommendations that will guide the development of agency infrastructure so that interoperability is maximized;
   4. to facilitate and promote the use of software and hardware developed under the CCSDS program by all participating agencies;
   5. to promote the application of the Recommendations within the space mission community; and
   6. to maintain cognizance of other international standardization activities that may have direct impact on the design or operation of space mission data systems.

Recent attempts to narrow the focus to ‘cross support’ in fact do a disservice to the intent of the charter, which was much broader.

Ø  The role of a BOF being mostly to write a WG charter, I wonder to what extent a cross-areas SIG would not be more adequate at this stage.

We can certainly call it a SIG rather than a BOF, but I think that we need to initially home it in SOIS and to keep its scope relatively locked down. Otherwise it is likely to expand in a vacuum and it will eventually burst.

///adrian