[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 7 January 2021

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Tue Jan 19 22:39:50 UTC 2021

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-001
Approval to publish CCSDS 123.0-B-2 Cor. 3,
Technical Corrigendum 3 to CCSDS 123.0-B-2, Issued February 2019
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Merri)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Barkley,
Shames, Burleigh, Calzolari, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-002
Approval to publish CCSDS 401.0-B-31, Radio
Frequency and Modulation Systems­Part 1: Earth
Stations and Spacecraft (Blue Book, Issue 31)
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Merri)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Barkley,
Shames, Burleigh, Calzolari, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Erik Barkley (Approve Unconditionally):  A
minor editorial suggestion (not a condition):

Page 3.1.6B-1

FROM: "...that most past, existing, and planned
Category B missions have assigned frequencies that were
selected on the basis of these existing channel frequency plans; ..."

TO: "...that most past, existing, and planned
Category B missions have assigned frequencies
that were or will be selected on the basis of
these existing channel frequency plans; ..."

RATIONALE: not all planned Category B missions
assigned frequencies have been selected such that
the past tense can be used exclusively and I
believe it also better indicates the expected practice going forward

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-003
Approval to publish CCSDS 431.1-B-1, Variable
Coded Modulation Protocol (Blue Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Merri)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Barkley,
Shames, Burleigh, Calzolari, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-004
Approval to publish CCSDS 766.1-B-3, Digital
Motion Imagery (Blue Book, Issue 3)
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Barkley,
Merri, Shames, Burleigh, Calzolari)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (16.67%) (Wilmot)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Jonathan Wilmot (Approve with
Conditions):  1) Concern that section
3.6.2.3  references CCSDS 766.3-R-1 specification
for RTP as Transport for Audio and Video over DTN
and the red book is not available to the reader.

2) The statement in 3.6.2.4 that "RTP-based
decoders must have sufficient buffering to manage
out-of-order arrival" would be very difficult to
bound as the needed bundle may come at the next
contact if it took a different path. Suggest that
3.6.2.4 reference 766.3 and state that RTP
decoder buffer size is related to bundle TTL and
should be tolerant of packet loss and/or use DTPC as described in 766.3

3) 3.7.2.2.2 CFDP class 2 should be stated as an
option for reliable transmission where a eliable UT layer is not available.

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-005
Approval to publish CCSDS 921.1-B-2, Cross
Support Transfer Service­Specification Framework (Blue Book, Issue 2)
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Merri, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (16.67%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with
Conditions):  This is a comprehensive (i.e.
large) document that describes a framework that
can support development of services for a wide
range of comm standards from four CCSDS Area
(SLS, SIS, CSS, and SEA).  As such, at 364 pages
in length, I am somewhat concerned that it may
fall into the "door stop" category, much like the
infamous 910.11 document.  It has a lot of
careful explanations, whch also render it
somewhat wordy, and due to inclusion of specs,
text, and ANS.1 it feels very repetitive.  I am
not suggesting that we not send it out for
review, but I am noting issues that may be a concern.

I do have a condition before it goes out for
review and that is that the editorial issues on
pgs M-3 thru M-10 be fixed.  I will also note
that some of the Security sections in H-2, having
to do with Privacy and Integrity are not as strong as they might be.

CSTS fits into the middle of the comm stack as a
sort of terrestrial to space "gateway".  It has
its own security aspects, but it also supports,
without hinderance. all of the other CCSDS
security mecahinisms, such as data encryption,
SDLS, BPSec, etc.  This ought to be stated
explicitly since they are features of this
framework.  I am willing to allow this to be
handled as a part of the Agency review processing.

      Jonathan Wilmot (Approve
Unconditionally):  I share Peter's concerns about
length. It would have been better to split
sections into separate books. Understood that it
is too late now as this poll is for publication.

Spelling-  RCF Return Chanel Frame (SLE)  should be Channel

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2020-12-006
Approval to publish CCSDS 922.3-B-1, Cross
Support Transfer Service­Forward Frame Service (Blue Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 December 2020 and ending 7 January 2021:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (100%) (Barkley, Merri, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Scott Burleigh (Approve
Unconditionally):  Not a condition, but an
observation: there is a typo at the end of
section 1.4, i.e., "these three uses cases"
should be "these four use cases".  Additionally,
this section alludes to use cases in annex J that
are referenced by section numbers in annex I.

      Jonathan Wilmot (Approve
Unconditionally):  Glad to see the formal term
definitions and SANA registration

Total Respondents:  4

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SEA
      SLS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions

NOTE - Conditions stated in a late poll response are under
        review by the technical editor.