[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 5 June 2019

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Thu Jun 6 14:10:58 UTC 2019

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2019-05-004 Approval to publish CCSDS
123.0-B-2 Cor. 1, Technical Corrigendum 1 to CCSDS 123.0-B-2, Issued
February 2019
Results of CESG poll beginning 22 May 2019 and ending 5 June 2019:

                 Abstain:  1 (14.29%) (Merri)
Approve Unconditionally:  6 (85.71%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh,
Cola, Calzolari, Wilmot)
Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%) Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)
Total Respondents:  7

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2019-05-005 Approval to publish CCSDS
320.0-M-7 Cor. 1, Corrigendum 1 to CCSDS 320.0-M-7, Issued November 2017
Results of CESG poll beginning 22 May 2019 and ending 5 June 2019:

                 Abstain:  0 (0%) Approve Unconditionally:  4 (80%)
(Shames, Burleigh, Cola, Wilmot)
Approve with Conditions:  1 (20%) (Calzolari)
Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)
CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

     Peter Shames (Approve Unconditionally):   See attached file with
answers to Gippo's RIDs

     Gian Paolo Calzolari (Approve with Conditions):   See PIDs

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

     MOIMS
     CSS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll after
conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2019-05-006 Approval to publish CCSDS
357.0-B-1, CCSDS Authentication Credentials (Blue Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 22 May 2019 and ending 5 June 2019:

                 Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Merri, Shames, Burleigh, Cola, Wilmot)
Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%) Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)
Total Respondents:  6

No response was received from the following Area(s):

     CSS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2019-05-007 Approval to publish CCSDS
734.3-B-1, Schedule-Aware Bundle Routing (Blue Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 22 May 2019 and ending 5 June 2019:

                 Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh, Cola)
Approve with Conditions:  1 (16.67%) (Wilmot)
Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)
CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

     Erik Barkley (Approve Unconditionally):   Some editorial changes
suggested:

1) Suggest deleting "predicted" in "...where changes in connectivity
are planned and scheduled, rather than predicted, discovered.."   The
rational is that that planning and schedule are in fact predictions
-- the schedule rests on mutual visibility between apertures which in
trun rests on trajectory information which in fact is a prediction.
As written this is confusing --removing "predicted" will clear this up.

2) Power-conserving motes  -- should this read power-conserving modes?

     Peter Shames (Approve Unconditionally):   I have to admit to
being a little puzzled as to why this document, which even says that
it defines procedures, and has no normative data structures nor PDUs,
is classified as a Blue Book.  According to the CCSDS Org & Proc doc,
A02x1y4c2, Sec B.1.1.b, a Magenta Book:

Magenta Books may document guidelines for standardized processes or
procedures for accomplishing tasks. ... Practices say, "Here is how
the community recommends that one should carry out or describe this
particular kind of operation at present, or how the community
recommends that it should be carried out in the future."

I understand that implementations were created and tested, and that
is laudable, but I am left wondering how any sort of normative
testing could have been carried out in the absence of data format or
PDU compliant exchanges.
And yes, I do understand that we are far down the road toward
publication, but just how we got here is a puzzlement.

     Jonathan Wilmot (Approve with Conditions):  This may not be a
condition, but  just a questions of scope. Along the lines of Peter's
comments, the book seems incomplete as a blue book, but maybe I am
just reading it out of context. The book discusses some of the issues
that a NASA mission is working through with regard to management of
storage resources and priority between hops that feed into the CGR,
but I do not see sufficient detail to have interoperable systems.
There is no MIB defined as in other books but parameters like route
volume limit (RVL), effective volume limit (EVL), and maximum
transmission volume (MTV) would be defined and need to be exchanged
between systems. Where would these exchange protocols be defined? I
have several similar questions but they too may be out of scope for
this document.

Total Respondents:  6