[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 5 July 2018

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Sun Jul 8 20:06:04 UTC 2018

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2018-06-002
Approval to release CCSDS 734.3-R-1,
Schedule-Aware Bundle Routing (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 20 June 2018 and ending 5 July 2018:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Behal)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Barkley,
Merri, Shames, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve Unconditionally): This can
be either treated as condition or input at the
time of the agency review. I will put the
question to the WG: given that CCSDS is an
international standards body, should not all
units and any arithmetic be those of the
international system of units (SI)? I can not
identitfy any other CCSDS recommendation that
expresses quanties in imperial units. I recommend
that text expressing miles per hour, etc be
struck and that SI units such kiomoteres per hour
be used exclusively. Forutanetly this is
contained to section 2.4.2 as far as I can tell,
and should be fairly easy to revise.

Peter Shames (Approve Unconditionally): There are
some open issues that have been identified in the
use of registries in the DTN protocol suite, and
these affect this standard as well. I believe
that Nodes, Endpoint Identifiers, and Bundle
Agents ought to be registered in some way and
that use of the RMP specified registries,
including the Organization and SSA are obvious ways to accomplish this.

After a lengthy discussion with Burleigh & Scott
a way forward to resolve this by updatingthe
existing registries, and adding DTN service site entries, as been agreed upon.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SLS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2018-06-003
Approval to release CCSDS 401.0-P-28.1, Radio
Frequency and Modulation Systems—Part 1: Earth
Stations and Spacecraft (Red/Pink Sheets, Issue 28.1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 20 June 2018 and ending 5 July 2018:

                  Abstain:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve Unconditionally): A comment
(only) re Recommendation/Table 3.1.7-1 -- these
are sensible options for MSPA, but I think it
should be kept in mind that there is an
inter-area options trade space -- namely DTN vs
MSPA. MSPA in all of its various
flavors/recommendations does not seem to scale as
well as DTN -- but then DTN imposes other
needs/considerations for implementing agencies to
be properly managed. The trade is essentailly
that of multiplexing at a link level vs network
level. I urge CCSDS and its member agencies to
develop a long term strategy taking both MSPA techniques and DTN into acount.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SLS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2018-06-004
Approval to release CCSDS 350.8-P-1.1,
Information Security Glossary of Terms (Proposed
Pink Book, Issue 1.1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 20 June 2018 and ending 5 July 2018:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Mario Merri (Approve with Conditions): Since this
book it is merely a glossary of terms, it is not
clear to me why it has not been taken this
opportunity to silverise the original GB and put
the terms in SANA at https://sanaregistry.org/r/terms/records/104

Bigette Behal (Approve with Conditions): cf. MOIMS AD

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SLS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2018-06-005
Approval to release CCSDS 352.0-P-1.1, CCSDS
Cryptographic Algorithms (Proposed Pink Sheets,
Issue 1.1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 20 June 2018 and ending 5 July 2018:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Mario Merri (Approve with Conditions): The main
change is the strenghen of the authenticaltion
keys. These have been increased, thus making
implementations that followed the previous CCSDS
recommentation not-compliant. Why has the
document update not been made in a
backward-compatible manner, still strongly recommending the new key lengths?