[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 14 July 2017

Thomas Gannett thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Mon Jul 17 19:26:49 UTC 2017

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-06-001
Approval to release CCSDS 401.0-P-27.1, Radio
Frequency and Modulation Systems—Part 1: Earth
Stations and Spacecraft (Red/Pink Sheets, Issue 27.1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 30 June 2017 and ending 14 July 2017:

                  Abstain:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh, Moury)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-06-002
Approval to release CCSDS 522.0-R-1, Spacecraft
Monitor and Control—Common Services (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 30 June 2017 and ending 14 July 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  1 (16.67%) (Behal)
  Approve with Conditions:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Merri, Shames, Burleigh)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions): A
condition and a general obervation/question.

Condition: The configuration services appears to
be underspecified. In section 2.7.3, a use case
of re-configurating a service provider is
provided. there is an implication of tracking
actual versus expected but this is really not
borne out by the recommendation. For example, the
notion of affected providers providing
confirmation messages is indicated but where they
fail to do so is not specified in the
recommendation. What does the configuration
service do in this case? As this is a service
specification the behavior should be specified.

General Observation/Question (not a condition per
se): why are state tables not provided in the
recommendation? Or, service state diagrams? Use
of state tables and state diagrams has ample
precedent in defining service specifications.
Adding state tables/diagrams will help to
validate the recommendation and help make it more
readily understandable to the reader/implementer
and help ward off errors in implementation.
Therefore a suggestion is to define service
states and include the appropriate diagrams and/or tables.

Mario Merri (Approve with Conditions): For
consistency please consider changing the title of
the document from "Spacecraft Monitor and
Control—Common Services" to "Mission
Operations—Common Services" as indicated on CWE.

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): See
attached PID form and PDF mark up. Too many issues to list individually.

Scott Burleigh (Approve with Conditions): This
seems to be excellent work, but I don't see how
it can be released as a draft Recommended
Standard. According to section 6261 of the
A02.1-Y-4 Procedures book, a document can be
released as a Recommended Standard only after
"two independent and interoperable prototypes or
implementations ... have been developed and
demonstrated in an operationally relevant
environment". Because this specification relies
wholly on the definitions of MAL and COM, which
are abstract and therefore cannot be implemented,
I don't see how two interoperable prototypes of
this specification can ever be independently
developed and demonstrated. I think this book is
probably an excellent statement of *requirements*
for a new Recommended Standard, hence an
excellent Green Book. But I don't know how it can
be released as a Red Book. My approval is conditional upon an explanation.

Gian Paolo Calzolari (Abstain): The terms in
section 1.6 DEFINITION OF TERMS should be ordered
alphabetically for reader's convenience.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-06-003
Approval to release CCSDS 522.2-R-1, Mission
Operations—Mission Data Product Distribution
Services (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 30 June 2017 and ending 14 July 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Approve with Conditions:  3 (50%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions): Two
conditions, and a general observation, question.

1) Pg 2-2 , at the top, RE: "...The product type
represents a category of mission data to which the product belongs
(e.g., parameter value evolution in a given time period, actions history)..."
How is a "parameter value evolution in a given
time period.." a product type? I suspect the
type, as in classification, that is being
attempted here is engineering telemetry. If I
think of controlling, via product type, I doubt
I'd be selecting access control just for evething
that is on a time-series basis -- rather I think
it would be types of telemetry/particular
instrument readings, etc. They all have a
time-series nature, but that is not the
fundamental type. Can a better example be provided?

2) Pg 2-7 states that the catalog entry is
created and stored in the "COM Archive". Please
include a mapping that ensures the "the product
type, the product source", and the "product
format" conform with COM Archive service needs
(its not clear how this maps, to, for example,
"area service", "object instance identifier", etc)

General observation/question (not a condition):
in reviewing this, I could not but help to think
about the fact that some CCSDS member space
agencies already have various data distribution
capabilities in place. For example, ESA has the
Planetary Science Archive (PSA) and NASA has the
Planetary Data System (PDS). To the best of my
knowledge these organizations have already
cooperated in developing standards related to
distribution of various mission science products,
particularly, through the IPDA (for example see
https://planetarydata.org/standards/IPDA_PDAP_v1.0.pdf)
I can't help but wonder with regard to this
recommendation if in fact CCSDS is not
overlapping with standards that have already been
established. Perhaps there is a need for a
liaison to be established? At the least, it seems
that perhaps there could be supporting standards
to this recommendation and therefore an overall stronger body of work.

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): This
document is too immature to be esnt out for
agency review.See attached PID form and document with mark-ups for details.

Scott Burleigh (Approve with Conditions): This
seems to be excellent work, as best I can tell,
but I don't see how I can in good conscience
approve its release as a draft Recommended
Standard. According to section 6261 of the
A02.1-Y-4 Procedures book, a document can be
released as a Recommended Standard only after
"two independent and interoperable prototypes or
implementations ... have been developed and
demonstrated in an operationally relevant
environment". Because this specification is
entirely abstract, I don't see how two
interoperable prototypes of the specification can
ever be independently developed and demonstrated.
I think this book is probably an excellent
statement of *requirements* for a new Recommended
Standard, hence an excellent Green Book. But I
don't know how it can be released as a Red Book.
My approval is conditional upon an explanation.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-06-004
Approval to release CCSDS 524.4-R-1, Mission
Operations—Message Abstraction Layer Binding to
ZMTP Transport (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 30 June 2017 and ending 14 July 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Behal)
  Approve with Conditions:  3 (50%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions): I do have
a recommendation and a question. And it is my
question that maybe a condition, depending upon
further input from the WG. There may be a
straightforward answer, but for now I am filing it as a condition.

My recmmendation is to provide some concrete
examples in the form of an annex. There are many
considerations in this mapping and I believe a
fully worked example or two will help to provide
validation and demonstrate same to the reader and eventual implementor.

My question is if there needs to be futher
elobaration vis a vis the ZeroMQ message patterns
and the MAL message patterns. I'm not sure that
MAL message parameter mappings is sufficient. Its
not entirely clear from my reading how MAL
message patterns map, for example to ZeroMQ
"PIPELINE" Pattern. I see some of the elements
called out -- e.g., I see that a "DEALER" socket
type is called out under certain conditions, but
I don't see the overall pattern mapped out, and
so therefore I am left to wonder if this really
works as is or if there further restriction
against "pure" ZMTP. (I also noted that the other
ZMTP RFCs that define message patterns are in fact not referenced).

Finally, I have reviewed the SE AD's inputs and
agree that they should be addressed.

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): This
document is not yet at a sufficient level of
maturity to be sent out to Agency Review. It has
a number of technical issues and missing
information. These are all covered in the
attached marked-up copy of the document.

As specified it does not appear to be directly
implementable for interoperability.

Scott Burleigh (Approve with Conditions): The
term "Transport" is used in an ambiguous way in
this document. ZMTP is referred to as a Transport
Protocol in 1.2, but in 2.4.1 it is recognized
that ZMTP relies on an underlying Transport Layer
protocol such as TCP. The "Transport Layer" in
figure 2.2 should be renamed something like
"Message Exchange Layer" and this change should
be propagated throughout the book. "Transport
Layer" already means something; redefining it in
this book would be a disservice to the reader.

Gian Paolo Calzolari (Abstain): The following
Editorial corrections are required: remove from
Annex F the acronyms AOS, BP, TM, TC because they are never used in the book.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

[PID forms and document markup are being forwarded to respective rapporteurs.]

Thomas Gannett
thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
+1 443 472 0805