[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 1 August 2017

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Wed Aug 2 20:00:15 UTC 2017

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-07-001
Approval to release CCSDS 431.1-R-1, Variable
Coded Modulation Protocol (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 July 2017 and ending 1 August 2017:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  6 (85.71%) (Barkley,
Merri, Burleigh, Cola, Calzolari, He)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (14.29%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): See
attached PID form and marked up document. There
are a few items that should be cleaned up before
this is sent out for agency review.

Here is a high level summary:

1) The SANA, Security, and Patent Annexes are missing.
2) The explicit definitions of pilots appears ambiguous (pg 3-1)
3) Some of the explanations of the relationships
among this doc, and [2] and [4] could be clearer.
See pos 1-1, 3-1, 3-2, and Annex B.
4) Sec 4 could reference, even if in passing,
that these “Managed Parameters”, in a compliant
CCSDS cross support deployment, would be handled by CCSDS Service Management.

Scott Burleigh (Approve Unconditionally): No
conditions, but three comments. (1) On page 1-2,
I think it would be good to define "ASM". (2) On
page 2-1, I would have liked to have seen a note
on why this protocol is not applicable to uplink.
(3) On page 4-1: a personal preference, I think
"static" would be better than "permanent".

Total Respondents: 7
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-07-002
Approval to release CCSDS 141.0-R-1, Optical
Communications Physical Layer (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 July 2017 and ending 1 August 2017:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (57.14%) (Merri, Burleigh, Calzolari, He)
  Approve with Conditions:  3 (42.86%) (Barkley, Shames, Cola)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions): This may
be more of a quesion than a condition, but filed
as condition pending further input: it seems odd
to have a book going to agency review when the
patent considerations section is indicated as "To
be supplied." I think the agencies would
appreciate knowing if there are patent
considerations as part of the agency review. The
statement is ambigous and can be read as "yes,
there are and they are forthcoming" -- if they
are known why not state them for agencies to be aware of?

Similarly for SANA considerations -- it does not
seem like there is anything in particular that
needs to be registered, so perhaps indicate
"none" or indicate what it is that gets
registered so that the agencies are aware/have been informed?

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): See
attached PID file and marked up document. There
are a number of issues that need to be cleaned up
before this goes out for agency review.

Here is a high level summary:

1) Definitions appear to be incomplete
2) Several abbreviations used without being defined
3) SANA and Patent sections are missing, they
could at least be sketched in at this point.
There are a few SANA Registries that will need to
be updated to add optical comm coverage.
4) Rationale is weak, it essentially says “CCSDS
says there should be one, but we did not provide even a hint.”

Scott Burleigh (Approve Unconditionally): No
conditions, but two comments. (1) On page 2-1,
the reader might wonder how it is possible to
assess the correctness of this document in the
absence of rationale, which will only be provided
in a future informative document; some
explanation would be appropriate. (2) On page
B-1, security might be provided at the
application and/or transport **and/or network** layer.

Tomaso de Cola (Approve with Conditions): 1) The
book deals with optical communications: why not
stating that is about free-space optical
communications, since optical communications
(e.g., LiFi) could be used onboard spacecraft or
on planets to link rovers and landers (for example)?

2) Section 2.2 states that one of the objectives
of the book is to define the center wavelength.
As a matter of fact, the center frequency (from
which wavelngth in vacuum can be derived) is the
first objective (see section 3 and subsequent).

3) Section 1.1 states that the specification
deals only with space-to ground and
ground-to-space. Could it me explicitly stated
that space-to-space is beyond the scope of this release of the book?

4) Section B.1.1 states that security is provided
by upper layers, indicating transport and
application layers as those eligilbe for it. In
my view, SDLS is also to be considered. Without
entering the jungle of all possible protocol
providing secure communication, the brackets and
the indication of transport/application layer could be simply removed.

5) No clear if there are patent implications to
be provided in the next release or there are none.

Total Respondents: 7
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-07-003
Approval to release CCSDS 922.2-R-1, Cross
Support Transfer Service—Tracking Data Service
(Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 July 2017 and ending 1 August 2017:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Barkley, Burleigh, Cola, Calzolari)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Mario Merri (Approve with Conditions): General
I believe more work is required on this book and
I have provided my comments below. In general
terms I have the following major considerations:
1) I had the impression in a few places of the
document that an architecture of the systems
providing the data is prescribed instead of only
specifying the service interface.

2) Considering that the service is meant to
transfer the handful of tracking-related
parameters using relatively simple transfer
patterns (real-time/complete,
streaming/playback), I cannot really match this
with the complexity of the proposed standard (94 pages).

3) The initial sections are difficult to read and often unclear

Detailed comments.

1.2.1 SCOPE OF THE TD-CSTS
The section dedicates 2 out of 3 paragraphs to
describe what is not covered in the scope. The
one paragraph that states what is in scope is not
very clear and requires knowledge of refernce
[3]. I recommend that this section is made more
clear as to clearly identifiy the scope of the document.

1.3 APPLICABILITY
I do not find this sectiuon clear. The typical
use case where this service could help should be clearly identified.

1.5.2 CROSS SUPPORT TRANSFER SERVICES DOCUMENTATION
This section is not very clear, including the
picture, which seems to provide an overview of
the full CSS area: where are all the service
management docs? Also, it is not clear where does the current document fit.

2.1 SERVICE SUMMARY
"The data delivery mode of an instance of the
TD-CSTS is established by Service Management"
where is this define the SM books?

I do not undertstand the relevance of the note.
Why should the format be different?

2.2.1 GENERAL
I have difficulties in understanding the example
in the last paragraph "A Service Package can contain multiple instances ..."

2.2.2 SERVICE PRODUCTION
The tracking-data-generating functions depicted
in figure 2-1 seems to prescribe an architecture
of the systems providing the data. Is this always
the same regardless the antenna ownership? The
standard should focus on the interface rather
than on the way the exchanged data are produced.
Clealry I understahnd that in this case metadate
such as carrier power ... are important to
qualify the date and must be included in the interface.

"TDM Recording Buffer": this also seems to
prescribe an implementation to allow the delivery
modes (complete or real-time). While I think the
delivery modes are indeed part of the interface,
the prescription on how to implement them are not.

2.2.3 SERVICE PROVISION
"TD-CSTS is equal to, and configured through, the
data delivery mode of the Buffered Tracking Data
Message Delivery procedure ...": didn't you say
before that was configured via SM?

2nd paragraph "In the real-time data delivery
mode ...": I cannot really understand the final part.

Also the remaining part of the section is
difficult to understand and confusing.

2.3 SERVICE MANAGEMENT
Which SM books define what is presented in this section?

2.4 CROSS SUPPORT VIEW
"The merged and TDM-segmented tracking data ...":
what does this mean? In addition this paragraph
prescribes an implementation that is irrelevant to the interface.

2.5 OPERATIONAL SCENARIO
I do not see anything specific to tracking data
in the proposed services. The services described
are good to transmit any type of data that is
available either in real time (streaming) or
playback and is to be delivered in complete or
real-time mode. It is just a "transfer any data"
service or am I wrong? Why do we need a book specific to TDM?

3.1 DISCUSSION
The title of the section is arguable considering its content.

"The Tracking Data CSTS may be implemented ...":
again it seems more a proposed implementation
than the specification of a standard service interface.

4.4.1 OVERVIEW
The point raised on Section 2.5 above seems to be
confiremed in Section 4.4.1 OVERVIEW where it is
stated "The overall activities of the Buffered
Tracking Data Message Delivery procedure are the
same as those of the standard Buffered Data
Delivery procedure as defined in 4.5 of reference
[1]." If this is the case, why a 94 page document is needed?

5. SETTING OF SERVICE ...
Typo in the title FRAMEWWORK->FRAMEWORK

6 TRACKING DATA SERVICE-SPECIFIC ...
Can't we find an easier section title?

Annex B
Considering that the service is meant to transfer
the handful of parameters defined in this annex
using relatively simple transfer patterns
(real-time/complete, streaming/playback), I
cannot really match this with the complexity of the proposed standard.

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): This
document is in very good shape and most of the
comments are editorial in nature. See the attached mark-up document.

Here is a high level summary:

- The biggest issue is that the document is not
entirely clear on just what the contents of the TDM data stream.
— Sec 2.2.3 says: “Each TD-CSTS instance
operating in the real-time mode transfers the
atomic segments, each of which contains one
measurement of one of the selected tracking data
types, as they are made available by the TDM Segment Generation function.”
— Sec 2.2.1 says: "each of the TD-CSTS instances
has access to the two-way Doppler and angle tracking measurements.”

- It is not ever made completely clear that the
real time TDM data stream can contain a sequence
of TDM atomic segments each of which can contain a different data type.

- Much of Sec 2.5 (six pages) seems to be about
Service Management and the behavior of the
TD-CSTS service as configured by this. This is
useful, but is it your intention to include this
sort of behavioral description in every CSTS
service spec and thereby avoid needing to produce
a GB as well? This is fundamentally a document consistency question.

- In Sec B3 on TDM Atomic Segments it might be
good to be really explicit (if this is the case)
that successive Atomic Segments may contain
different data types, from the list on pg B-1,
but all taken at the same time. For instance, an
example showing Doppler, range, and antenna
tracking angles might make this clear. This also
relates to the first comment, above.

- In Sec 6 OIDs are referenced, but they are not
defined nor are they in the acronym list.

- There are some issues in Annex G2 on SANA Considerations.

Scott Burleigh (Approve Unconditionally): No
conditions, but a suggestion: page 2-1 refers to
"network" and "backpressure" but there is nowhere
any discussion of what this means. I think a
section enumerating "Requirements on the
underlying service" would be appropriate.

Gian Paolo Calzolari (Approve Unconditionally):
Comment: I just find a little odd that there is
no mention (e.g. among informative references) of
the radio metric standards the production is
expected to support. The matter can be discussed during Agency Review.

Total Respondents: 6
No response was received from the following Area(s):

SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-07-004
Approval to release CCSDS 921.2-R-1, Guidelines
for Specifications of Cross Support Transfer
Services (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 July 2017 and ending 1 August 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (50%) (Barkley, Burleigh, Cola)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (33.33%) (Merri, Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Mario Merri (Approve with Conditions): GENERAL
1) The document seems to provide an extra large
set of guidelines internal to the CSTS WG on how
to write future BBs specifying CSTSes. To this
effect the book is clearly useful, but I am not
sure about its usefulness as CCSDS recommended
practice. Is there really the possibility that
people external to CCSDS will come up with new
CSTS Services? Shouldn't this document just be an
internal unpublished guideline.

2) The number of guidelines is very large (111
pages) and they are expressed mainly as textual
requirements. This implies that checking
compliance of future prospective CSTS services
would be very difficult, expensive and error
prone. Was any alternative approach considered
that could improve this, e.g. XML schema?

1.1 PURPOSE OF THIS RECOMMENDED PRACTICE
Please add the following sentect after the second
paprgraph: "In the context of CSTS a ground
entity is either a ground station or a control centre."

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): This
document is very mature and there are few
editorial or technical issues that need to be
addressed. These are reflected in the attached marked-up version.

That said, the Applicability Section, sec 1.3,
makes it sound like this document is really a
specification for how CCSDS should use the
features of the CSTS Framework to create new
concrete CSTS services. As such it seems to be
more of a CCSDS internal procedure, i.e. Yellow
Book, than a Magenta Book that any user might attempt to utilize.

Having read through the whole (long) document it
is clear that this really is a document that is
intended for CCSDS WGs that want to develop new
CSTS Framework based standards. I am certain that
it will be useful to that group of users. That
said, those users are not the “typical” space
data system users that our standards are designed for.

Based on this analysis I am suggesting that you
publish this as a Yellow Book, a recommended
practice for development of CSTS standards, and
not as a MB. I am concerned that sending it out
for agency review will only confuse our users,
who would then be wondering what they should do
with it. Or, if we send it our for draft MB
review and later choose to publish as a Yellow
Book, we leave them wondering why we didn’t get
the “color” right in the first place.

Tomaso de Cola (Approve Unconditionally): Some editorial comments:

1) The ToC does not include Annex X

2)The note after paragraph 4.6.4.2 refers to
annex xx, which apparently does not exist

3) Annex C starts with C1, C2 and then 3. I guess it should be C3, C4. etc.

4) Annex X is without a title (there is
immediately X.1). By the way, why annex X after
annex C and before Annex D? Wouldn't it be better
to have annexes A, B, C, D, E, etc.?

Total Respondents: 6