[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Poll closing 12 October 2015

ccsds techsupport ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org
Thu Oct 15 15:24:24 UTC 2015

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2015-09-002 Resolution to nominate chair and deputy chair of the Mission Planning and Scheduling WG

Results of CESG poll beginning 04 September 2015 and ending 12 October 2015:

Abstain:  0 (0%)
Approve Unconditionally:  1 (14%) (Tomaso)
Approve with Conditions:  4 (58%) (Barkley, Shames, Suess, Barton)
Disapprove with Comment:  2 (28%) (Merri, Behal)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

############################
Barkley - 1) State resolution/proposed approach for resolving what seems like  a less than optimal set of WG chairing duties.  The proposed chair person is already the deputy chair of another substantial WG in CCSDS. My concern is that an individual can not really be effective in chairing duties for multiple working groups that will likely meet in a contemporaneous fashion.

############################
Merri - In the agreement with the MOIMS DAD, I  withdraw the poll (by disapproving it), with the following motivations:

1. The conditions put some ADs affect also another WG (the SM&C WG) which is not part of the poll. To consider these conditions, the poll text should have made proposals for both WGs.

2. The autonomy of an AD/DAD to manage his/her own area is put in question not on technical grounds (competence of the proposed candidates), but on an arguable argument. The MP&S WG is currently tasked to produced only a GB and the overlapping is considered tolerable and economically efficient, although not ideal. The MP&S WG will meet only for 1 day during the Darmstadt meeting. In this situation, it is not consider a major problem if the SM&C WG deputy chair will miss only 1 day of meeting since he can count on the full availability of the SM&C WG chair (this is exactly the reason why redundancy is built in the WG leadership).

3. The conditions imply adhering to rules that currently do not exist in the CCSDS YB. In addition, if they existed, they should be applied systematically to everyone (there are several other overlapping of responsibilities in CCSDS). These rules need to be first spelled out clearly, agreed by the CESG/CMC and documented in the YB. After that, this poll can be reopened.

4. The atmosphere that is building up in CCSDS is not healthy and this needs to stop. The CCSDS should be a technical forum where space enthusiasts from different agencies meet to solve space problems to help the community. Let’s all make an effort to achieve that.

I propose that the MP&S meets in Darmstadt according to the agenda already agreed between Mehran and Steve, while CESG/CMC consider and resolve the above points..

############################
Behal - See MOIMS Area Director 's comments

############################
Shames - Since both the MOIMS MPS WG and the MOIMS SM&C WG are large and will meet for 3-4 days (or more) it is not realistic to have Mehran be a WG chair or deputy in both of them.  This is a built in scheduling conflict and it is hard to understand how anyone can be effective in both roles when the meetings will be held at the same time.

I recommend that Mehran either drop the SM&C deputy role or not take on this role.

Suess - I concur with the conditions stated by Peter and Rick.

Barton - My only condition is that Mehran Sarkarati be willing to step down as SM&C Deputy Chair if he accepts the position as Chair of the Mission Planning and Scheduling WG. Seems like a significant conflict otherwise.

Total Respondents: 7

No response was received from the following Area(s): SLS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Disapproved
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:  CMC Poll Disapproved.  Communicate results to CESG.