[Cesg-all] CFDPv1 status update

Burleigh, Scott C (312B) scott.c.burleigh at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 13 20:12:37 UTC 2015

Kevin, FWIW, I disagree.  I don't think you have stated here what the "clear need" for repeating the interoperability testing of all parts of CFDP might be.

The purpose of this interoperability testing is not to validate the correct operation of protocol implementations.  It is rather to validate the clarity and completeness of the protocol specification - demonstrating that the document provided sufficient guidance to enable independent implementers to develop software that interoperates.

The clarity and completeness of the original, unmodified portions of the specification was validated many years ago, in the extensive interoperability testing that preceded publication of the CFDP Blue Book, and it remains valid because those portions of the specification have not been revised.

What has not yet been validated is the revised text of the specification, and that is what requires interoperability testing now.  I don't think additional testing beyond what is required to prove out the specification can be justified.

Scott