[Cesg-all] Results of CESG polls closing 26 July 2013

CCSDS Secretariat tomg at aiaa.org
Mon Jul 29 10:19:30 EDT 2013

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-06-002 Approval to publish CCSDS
730.1-G-1, Solar System Internetwork (SSI) Architecture (Green Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 26 June 2013 and ending 26 July 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (60%) (Peccia, Calzolari, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (40%) (Shames, Barkley)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions):  I understand that
there is a desire to get this published, and I would like to see this
happen since it fills a useful niche in describing enterprise level
interactions, but the document, in my opinion, needs some significant work.

The document, in its present form, makes what appear to be some
unrealistic assumptions about what Stage 1 is and what network
service providers will be willing to offer.  It also makes the
similarly unrealistic "Stage 1" assumption that space network service
providers and science missions operate under the same "authority".  I
believe that Stage 1 should stick to configurations where there is no
assumption that the network service providers will offer SSI services
at all, and that SSI services will all be provided by the
missions.  Stage 2 can then describe how network service providers
will participate.  One builds on the other in a natural progression.

There are some significant dis-connects between the approach and
terminology described here, and what is agreed in the SCCS-ADD
GB.  This should be sorted out since it is confusing.

The document glibly waves its hands about the role of link layer
services and does not even point at the SCCS-ADD that describes how
all of these parts fit together.  It also does a poor job of
discriminating link layer data flows, network layer data flows, and
end-to-end logical data flows.  This leads to confusion.

Some of the sections jump into long and wordy descriptions of
protocols stacks instead of providing some simple diagrams.  And
there are many diagrams provided in the SCCS-ADD that could be
directly adopted or referenced instead of providing similar ones.

The document would really benefit from having all of these issues
resolved.  As it is I think it is too immature to go further.

See attached marked up PDF for explicit feedback.

      Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions):  A good read, good
document.  A couple of conditions and a comment follow.

1) Terminology leveling will be very useful to users of CCSDS
recommendations.  CSA (Cross Support Architecture) document defines,
among other terms, the following:

Cross Support Service Element (CSSE)
Cross Support Service System (CSSS)
Earth-Spacelink Terminal (ESLT)
Earth User Node (EUN)
Earth Routing Node (ERN)
Space User Node (SUN)
Space Routing Node (SRN)

The SSI ADD uses terms such as

User Node (UN)
Provider Node (PN).

At a minimum it will be useful to have the SSI document indicate how
its terms relate to the those in the CSA.  I believe this is the
proper "direction" as the cross support architecture document covers
both the "traditional" as well as the SSI architectures.

2) Although the concept book is clear that the Network Management
Plan has not been defined, it strikes me that we may be running a
risk in advancing the concept without a more complete definition of
this at least in terms of a more detailed concept. At a minimum, I
believe the following needs to be stated for the NMP description in the Annex:
a. Verifies that contact plans have been  coherently disseminated
b. Tracks expiration of contact plans and warns of impending SSI "holes"
c. Coordinates "re-starts" of (using CSA terms) ERNs and SRNs for
those that have "fallen" off the network (due to expired contact plans).

As a general comment, and not a condition, I will note that I was a
little bit surprised by the user schedule request notion in the
concept. Especially as it seems to be on a communication by
communication (link oriented? ) basis. It strikes me that ultimately
the peering arrangements etc. should be about general traffic flow
and it's shaping such that the using entities really don't worry at
all about such requests and that they just simply send data knowing
that it will get to where its supposed to go within the particular
quality of service grade needed.

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll after
conditions have been addressed

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-07-001 Approval for the Creation
of the SLS Planetary Communications Working Group
Results of CESG poll beginning 1 July 2013 and ending 26 July 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (60%) (Peccia, Calzolari, Moury)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  2 (40%) (Shames, Barkley)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Disapprove with Comment):  It is not at all clear
why there should be a separate WG for PlaCom from the existing SLS
working groups dealing with link layer and C&S.  Why isn't this
specific niche domain just taken up as a new work item in one or more
existing WGs.

Given constrained resources for CCSDS across all agencies it is hard
to see how standing up a new WG cannot impact existing effort in
other existing WGs.

      Erik Barkley (Disapprove with Comment):  The SIG appears to be
doing good work, but the case to establish a WG for the purposes of
producing a single green book seems to be contrary to the CCSDS
mission of producing implementable recommendations.  Its seems that
this information can be captured as a yellow book if needed be as
part SLS Area normal business to help prioritize needs for updates,
for example as cited in the proposed charter, to proximity 1.    It
strikes this AD that the SIG is doing good SIG work and should remain
as a SIG to help inform the program of work for the existing WGs in
the SLS area, and that a WG to develop a single green book for this
information is not truly warranted.

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS
      SIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Disapproved
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            No Action

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-07-002 Approval for the Creation
of the SIS CFDP Revisions Working Group
Results of CESG poll beginning 1 July 2013 and ending 26 July 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Shames, Peccia, Barkley, Moury, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Gian Paolo Calzolari (Approve with Conditions):  Please provide
the draft CWE Project for the Pink Book/Sheets.

Total Respondents:  6