[Cesg-all] Results of CESG polls closing 25 January 2013

CCSDS Secretariat tomg at aiaa.org
Sat Jan 26 16:40:23 EST 2013

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-01-001
Approval to release CCSDS 766.1-R-1, Digital
Motion Imagery (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 11 January 2013 and ending 25 January 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  2 (50%) (Peccia, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (50%) (Barkley, Calzolari)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Nestor Peccia (Approve Unconditionally):  I
fully agree with SL AD's conditions

      Erik Barkley (Approve with
Conditions):  1:The general considerations that need to be sorted out:
a) why is this a blue book and not a magenta
book? The evidence seems fairly overwhelming as
to this being a magenta book. Namely it does not
define any protocols directly but essentially
calls out a profile or sets of profiles utilizing
several film and tv industry standards. This
seems to be essentially a best practices type
book. A typical blue book will actually get down
to defining protocol, data formats, and service
behaviors. This book does not have that. The last
paragraph of section 2 seems to further indicate
that this is really a magenta book by stating
that this is “framework of standards” – seems
like a profile to this reviewer.  Furthermore,
how is this to be prototyped if it is truly a
blue book? Request that the book be either
changed to magenta book or compelling
justification be provided as to why this is a blue book.
b) What is the exact scope -- my reading gave me
the sense that this is really only applicable to
manned spaceflight in the near Earth environment
such as ISS. It’s hard for me to make sense of
the recommendations in any other use case. It may
be that this is largely focused on ground
inter-operations, and if so, a figure to
delineate this (an enterprise model type diagram)
would be helpful.  But the document never
explicitly states the space agency environment,
applicable use cases, etc.  It is therefore
unclear as to what environment this is really
being applied toward. Please clarify.

2:: Section 1.2 -- applicability with regard to
“
 the scope of web streaming
” is rather odd. Is
the implication truly that the standard profiles
listed later in the document are to all be
transported over HTTP? I don’t think this really
makes sense for typical spacecraft to earth
operations, although the case can be made for
near Earth missions. But more importantly, the
document later recommends against using TCP/IP
when in fact HTTP is predominantly carried over
TCP/IP (which does not work with deep space
links).  I would suggest that this be rephrased
to indicate the applicability with regard to
streaming video – at minimum drop “scope of web streaming”.

3: Section 3.1 -- a minor editorial suggestion:
the figures are in fact found in section 3.4.6 so
why not reference that section directly rather than saying “following 3.4.5”?

4: Section 3.1 -- it appears that the
recommendation development editor has classes of
use cases and therefore users in mind but it is
not clear exactly what is meant by “one of those
users”. Suggest rephrasing in terms of implementation classes.

5: Section 3.3.4 this is phrased as a statement
of fact. The shall statement referring to video
signals in 3.3.3 and standards listed in 3.3.3
does not seem to be applicable to the standards
listed in section 3.3.4. Is the “shall” statement
really applicable to section 3.3.4? Please clarify.
Section 3.4.1.1 -- the phrase “
is now leftover
broadcast television
” is colloquial at best. I
don’t believe an international recommendation is
really truly well specified with vague terms such
as “leftover”. Please clarify/re-phrase.

6: Section 3.4.1.2 – 3.4.1.5 -- these seem to be
generally use cases identified by motion picture
and television industry engineering standards. I
would suggest that the use cases for CCSDS be
better stated and refined.  It seems that we
really have two general use cases in the CCSDS
environment – near Earth manned operations i.e.
ISS and video that is in fact delivered as a file
from deep space probes. Relative to the
recommendation to be reviewed by agencies, I am
not sure that we really have spacecraft to
spacecraft personal videoconferencing that is
applicable in CCSDS, and it probably does not
really happen in the cross support interagency
environment and is unlikely to occur any time
that this recommendation will cover. Similarly,
I’m not so sure what the need for a medical
conferencing use case is for CCSDS although I
suppose the case can be made for ISS operations.
Similarly, it’s not clear as to what is meant by
situational awareness in the CCSDS cross support
environment. Ditto public affairs.  As an example
of a more directly stated CCSDS use case, doesn’t
situational awareness for example, really
translate into docking maneuvers for ISS? If
nothing else a mapping between what is recognized
as outside industry use case classifications and
the applicable CCSDS use cases will be helpful
for space agencies reviewing and/or subsequently
implementing this recommendation.

7: Section 3.4.3 -- although preservation of the
aspect ratio is nice, I have seen plenty of
instances on earth where it was clearly a 4:3
aspect ratio being projected onto 16:9 and the
image was still usable/recognizable. Also, I’m
curious as to how this recommendation can control
the end-user system. It seems this may need
relaxing to a “should” statement. Can a rational
be provided as to why this is a “shall”?

8: Section 3.4.1.5.2 -- I believe the notes needs
to be scrubbed a bit. I am not sure that an
assumption that all internal data routing with
regard to onboard spacecraft avionics can be
claimed as to be done over IP. My understanding
is that many proprietary buses are still used.

9: Section 3.4.6 -- I’m not sure that the
discussion with regard to an internal IP
connection to spacecraft avionics is truly
applicable. Perhaps this is the case for ISS but
I believe that is the only case?  Certainly there
are not laptops on board deep space missions.  If
this is applicable only for ISS or this class of
mission (whatever official classification CCSDS
can provide) then it should be stated as such.

10: Figure 3-1 -- the top left box of the
abstract video system should really read
spacecraft to ground (not air to ground communications)

11: Section 3.5.2  -- the little footnote carries
a big implication. The restriction should really
be noted in the introduction of this document so
that it is clearly understood that by following
the various profiles in this recommendation the
audio is delivered only in line with the video.

12: Section B3 -- the patent assessment needs to
be supplied. There is an indication earlier in
the document of HDMI licensing. I believe it will
be important for agency review to know of any
patent considerations. Please provide the missing information.

      Gian Paolo Calzolari (Approve with
Conditions):  1) There are 31 documents
referenced (and among them only  4 CCSDS
Standards: 27, 29, 30, 31). This is something
more appropriate to a (future) Green Book than to
a (future) Blue Book. Please confirm that all the references are really needed.
2) Section 3.6.2 ELEMENTARY STREAM - as UDP runs
over IP they should also be sent with IP datagrams applying [27]. Clarify.
3) clause 3.7.1.1 should be truncated to
"Recordings shall be file based" (i.e. delete "to
allow for transfer of recorded video data via
established file transfer methodologies.")
4) It looks to me that 3.7.1 should also address
rules for building the files or state which
features are out of scope in this standard.
5) clause 3.7.2.1 should limit the requirement to
transmit files using CFDP (whether CFPD runs over
encapsulation or DTN is irrelevant).
6) clause 3.7.2.3 shall be clarified. The
features addressed in this clause are not
mentioned in the DTN and LTP red books and it is
not clear whether it addresses only CFDP over DTN
or also some native DTN features for video
transmission. Is really transmission directly
over DTN or LTP (without CFDP) an available option?
7) Section B3 PATENT CONSIDERATIONS should be
filled up (at least in draft form) before agency
review as I guess there are several patent issues
to be know for video formats, jpeg, etc.

Total Respondents:  4

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SEA
      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed