[Cesg-all] Results of recent CESG polls

CCSDS Secretariat tomg at aiaa.org
Thu Aug 29 11:33:07 EDT 2013

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-08-001
Approval to release CCSDS
652.1-P-1.1,  Requirements for Bodies Providing
Audit and Certification of Candidate Trustworthy
Digital Repositories (Pink Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 6 August 2013 and ending 20 August 2013:

                  Abstain:  2 (50%) (Taylor, Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  1 (25%) (Peccia)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (25%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions):  I
approve this revision, but do note that there
were no change bars in the Pink Book.  Thus it is
rather a pain to try and see just what has been changed.

I would much prefer for any document that has
been cycled through CESG review for it to include
change bars so we can see what has, in fact, been
changed.  IMHO the change bars do not need to be
in the version sent out for agency review.

      Nestor Peccia (Approve Unconditionally):  I concur with Peter's comments

Total Respondents:  4

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      CSS
      SIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-08-002
Approval of Historical status for CCSDS A01.2-Y,
CCSDS Operating Plan for Standards Development
Results of CESG poll beginning 6 August 2013 and ending 20 August 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  6 (100%) (Shames,
Peccia, Barkley, Taylor, Calzolari, Moury)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents:  6

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-08-003
Approval of Historical status for CCSDS
A30.0-G-3, CCSDS Glossary (Green Book, Issue 3, July 1997)
Results of CESG poll beginning 6 August 2013 and ending 20 August 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  6 (100%) (Shames,
Peccia, Barkley, Taylor, Calzolari, Moury)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents:  6

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2013-08-004
Approval to release CCSDS 524.1-R-1, Mission
Operations Message Abstraction Layer—Space Packet
Binding (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 13 August 2013 and ending 27 August 2013:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (60%) (Peccia, Moury, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (40%) (Shames, Barkley)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with
Conditions):  This document has been
significantly improved by an extensive set of
edits.  This has made the document much more
readable and more easily understood.  These
edits, however, have introduced some new issues
that really must be resolved before the document
should be released for public review.

The attached review version has been commented on
through page 3-10.  Since I am on vacation there
has just not been the time to complete the
review.  As a result I am submitting this now for
WG review.  I will be traveling home tomorrow and
during that cross country flight will complete
the review.  You will have the final inputs by COB Wed, 28 August.

      Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions):  1)
Section 2.4.2 states that configuration mapping
requires a configuration service and/or directory
service be present.  However the normative
section of the document has no such
requirement.  Please ensure that this is consistent.

2) The mapping requires the same APIDs to be used
in mapping from MAL URI TO, UR FROM fields.  Does
this work for the sub/pub interaction pattern? --
is the assumption then that all subscribers will
have to understand the same set of APIDs?  My
understanding as that missions may define APIDs
to suit their own needs and do not necessarily
coordinate the same definitions.   It seems that
either this may not really work for real-world
implementation or that shall statements
addressing pub/sub with APIDs needs to be added.  Please clarify.

3) Perhaps not a condition that can be resolved
directly by the WG, but it does seem important to
address from an overall CCSDS perspective:  SPP
is itself somewhat abstract, relying on the
notion of a Logical Data Path (LDP) to route data
over one or more sub networks.   Further, CCSDS
has defined both AMS and MTS (a specialization of
AMS).  So, in effect, is true inter-operation
achieved with this binding book?  I will note
that, as an example, in section 2.4, the
definition of QOS is left rather ambiguous --
"...depends on the capabilities of the underlying
layer to convey space packets".   Okay, and that
would be?  AMS? MTS? If AMS/MTS are in fact under
the SPP in figure 2-3, then isn't MAL  really
needing to map/bind to these layers as well?   At
a minimum, perhaps it would be worthwhile to
consider figure 2-3 with AMS/MTS underneath
it  and see how this works.  While it is true
that, technically, this is out of scope of this
book, I believe such an action may in fact better
inform what a true interoperable binding may need
to be.  At minimum this should help prepare the
WG to answer questions from implementations teams
as to how all this fits together.

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed