[Cesg-all] [Secretariat] Working Group chairs that have yet to attend the CCSDS Boot Camp

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Fri Apr 5 09:31:04 EST 2013

Enrico, the problem is that even with battlefield certification, many of those CCSDS standards and handbooks have been submitted to the Secretariat in very substandard condition.  Even very recently, the problem continues.  It is a simple and efficient thing to write the books correctly in the first place.  It is a difficult and expensive problem to have the secretariat continue to rewrite the books routinely.  That is the problem we are trying to solve.

The problem is compounded because it appears that the working group chairs and book editors are very reluctant to read the procedures and the publications manual.  From statements some boot camp attendees have made, an alarming number of document writers have never looked at the publications manual.  We created the boot camp in part to spoon-feed the most critical guidelines to the chairs and book editors, and also to insure that they are aware that the publications manual exists and should be followed.

We will continue to encourage boot camp participation, perhaps repeatedly, until the submitted documents improve to a minimal level of quality.   We know that it is difficult to find time to attend the boot camp, but we are sure our excellent WG chairs and document writers can solve that minor problem.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
Lead Technology Manager
Mission Operations Laboratory