[Cesg-all] Re: Result of CESG poll closing 30 November 2010

CCSDS Secretariat tomg at aiaa.org
Thu Dec 2 08:18:48 EST 2010

(Resending with "Secretariat Interpretation of Results"
and  "Proposed Secretariat Action" fields populated.)

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2010-11-002 Pre-Red CESG review and
approval of CCSDS 415.1-R-1, Data Transmission and PN Ranging for 2
GHz CDMA Link via Data Relay Satellite (Red Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 3 November 2010 and ending 30 November 2010:

                  Abstain:  2 (28.57%) (Taylor, Durst)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (57.14%) (Peccia, Barkley, Gerner, Moury)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (14.29%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions):  There are a number of
editorial issues that should be addressed before this is
released.  See the attached mark up copy.

None of them is particularly serious and I am sure that all of them
will be caught during review.

Total Respondents:  7

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Resolve comments, generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2010-11-003 Pre-Red CESG review and
approval of CCSDS 131.4-R-1, TM Channel Coding Profiles (Red Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 15 November 2010 and ending 30 November 2010:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (83.33%) (Peccia, Barkley, Gerner, Moury, Durst)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  1 (16.67%) (Shames)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Disapprove with Comment):  It is with some
trepidation that I reject this document, because I understand that it
is the SLS desire to have it published quickly, but I do not believe
that it has mature enough technical structure and content that would
warrant it's publication at this time.

The most significant issue, from my point of view, is that the entire
concept of "mission profiles" creates some artificial categories,
which, while they align with spectrum allocations, do not align in
any way with either real mission operating domains nor with the real
spectrum and power efficiency issues that must be addressed by the
coding (and modulation) that is selected for any given mission.

I find that the set of categories identified in Chap 2 read like
something of a mish-mash, with a lot of overlap, some illogical
boundaries, and a real lack of clarity.  For instance, I can see no
sound technical reason for lumping together S-Band, X-band and
Ka-band frequencies in both the so-called "Earth Exploration" and
"Space Research" "profiles" and then stating that a different coding
approach must be used in each.  The frequency bands in these two
categories are adjacent, the physical factors that are present must
be essentially identical, and there is no good technical reason for
discriminating between them.

Even the mission domains referenced overlap in strange ways. LEO, MEO
& LaGrange are defined in "Space Research", but GEO is left out.  And
LEO and GEO are defined in EES, but MEO is left out.

A much more reasoned approach would be to structure the document
along the lines of mission operating domains, near Earth, MEO, GEO,
and deep space, perhaps with added domains for Lunar and LaGrange
point missions.  There might well be different categories of high
rate and low rate missions within these categories, but at least this
parsing makes sense.

The other significant aspect of this document that is troubling is
that while it is called "TM Channel Coding" it also mentions ACM &
VCM several times and references modulation and the modulation
standards.  In my opinion a more useful approach would be to create a
Coding and Modulation Recommended Practice that dealt directly with
the key issues of bandwidth utilization, and spectral and power
efficiency, and provided clear recommendations as to how to stack up
modulation, coding, and the necessary ACM/VCM control and signaling
structures to deal with these issues across all of the spectrum and
mission operational domains.

See attached document, with mark-ups, for more details.

I would have responded "Approve with Conditions" if I could have, but
the changes that I believe are needed are so major that "Disapprove"
seems like the only viable choice.

Total Respondents:  6

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Disapproved
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            No Action