[Cesg-all] RE: CESG recommendations concerning Mission Operations Services Concept, draft Green Book

Hooke, Adrian J (9000) adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 2 11:21:49 EDT 2009

> I believe that we need to discuss the recommendations as well.

> They were not agreed at CESG level, but endorsed by a subset of the ADs and you.

> As MOIMS AD and CESG Co-Chair I do not agree with some of them.

Nestor: let's be quite clear about the process here. The MOIMS Spacecraft Monitor and Control (SM&C) Working Group submitted a draft "Mission Operations Services Concept" Green Book to the CESG for publication approval. The poll failed: two Areas (SLS and SOIS) abstained on the grounds that they were unaffected and three others (SE, CSS and SIS) had substantive comments. Only MOIMS (you) approved the document unconditionally. As CESG Chair, I therefore commissioned the Systems Engineering Area Director to analyze the items in contention and to produce a report. I then asked the other two commenting Area Directors (CSS and SIS) to review the SE report. The resulting recommendations - which reflected the consensus of all three of these Area Directors - were sent to the SM&C Working Group. That is exactly what the CESG is chartered to do.

Whether or not you agree with the recommendations, three Area Directors did agree with them and without their approval the document will not go forward. It is therefore in everyone's interest to stop this incessant round of finger-pointing, reach a consensus resolution to the technical issues, and move on.

Best regards

Adrian