[Cesg-all] Charter Development Template For Comments

Erik Barkley Erik.Barkley at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 22 18:26:51 EST 2007

Craig,

Taking a look at the project tabs, it strikes me
that an important piece of information is
lacking.  In order to assess a project relative
to its overall charter I believe it is necessary
to state the resources committed by the various
agencies.  Mandating 36 month completion cycles
is all well and good, but stating that a project
will complete in 14 months, for example, via some
assertion of milestones without seeing the
supporting manpower information to achieve those
milestones (okay, kilometerstones) complicates
assessing project viability.  Furthermore, not
all kilometerstones are created equally in terms
of effort required.  Therefore it may be of
interest to include estimated level of effort
information to compare against the committed
resources assigned by the agencies.     So that
management has an accurate picture of progress,
it may be worthwhile to have this kind of information updated periodically.

Best regards,

-Erik.