[Cesg-all] Test Drive the New CCSDS.org (Deadline 07FEB05)

Peter Shames peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 9 15:22:56 EST 2005

Dear BTAS team,

This version of the new web site is a considerable improvement over the
last version.  It seems like it is getting to the point where it will
start to be useful.  You have done a pretty good job of organizing the
information in a way that makes it accessible and the presentation
style of the top level pages is quite good.  At the same time there are
a number of details that need to be worked upon before it is ready for
prime time.

- Not at all clear why each page says "copyright CCSDS/BTAS" .  Most of
what is reported on here belongs to CCSDS itself.  Your role is
contractor to make it accessible.  I suggest that this be acknowledged
on the bottom of the first page as "webmaster".

On the liaison page, OMG is an organization with which we have a
liaison agreement.

On the organizations page, I would expect that clicking on an agency
name (all of which are active) one would be taken to that agency's web
site, not to the agency list.

I like the clickable org chart
(http://member.ccsds.org/about/organization.aspx), but suggest that the
CESG should list all of the current ADs and DADs, and each Area ought
to link to all active WGs

Suggest that links from the
http://public.ccsds.org/sites/cwe/default.aspx page should take you to
the Area and WG charters, even for the public

The idea of having a list of pubs on standards is excellent, but the
list on http://member.ccsds.org/publications/ConferencePapers.aspx is
really too limited to be of great use.  I hope there is a plan to add
SpaceOps 2004, other GSAW pointers, and pointer to other conferences
like RCSGSO, Ka & Broadband Workshop, and others.

It would be really useful if the tabs at the top of the major pages
showed where you presently are.  As a navigation device it now just
says "this is where i might go", not "this is where i am".

Some of the buttons in "CCSDS Applied"
http://member.ccsds.org/applied/default.aspx, suddenly take you to
another part of the web site, apparently in Industry resources.
http://member.ccsds.org/industry/default.aspx.  The effect is to
suddenly shift venue, change the pull down menu options, and lose lock.
  I like the fact that these things are inter-related in some way, but
found the shift disconcerting when I went back to the menu and the list
i had been clicking down was suddenly different.

Participation page http://member.ccsds.org/participation/default.aspx
probably ought to also say something to individuals about how they can
get involved, i.e. find an organization that is a member or talk to
some point of contact.

Systems Engineering Area page
(http://public.ccsds.org/sites/cwe/sea/default.aspx) has correct AD and
DAD entries, but the SEA allterms page
http://public.ccsds.org/sites/cwe/Lists/SEADir/AllItems.aspx has
Jean-Luc Gerner listed as the AD.  I did not check all the other areas,
but someone ought to.

That's all for now.  Let's make this all that it can be.

regards, Peter

On Feb 2, 2005, at 9:41 AM, penelope.walz wrote:

> <image.tiff>
>
> Deadline for comments - February 7, 2005
>

> Dear Members of the CCSDS CMC and CESG:
>

> We are pleased to announce that the new CCSDS.org is now ready for
> your review.
>

> In addition to the Collaborative Work Environments (CWEs) many of you
> are already familiar with, the new CCSDS.org features an updated look,
> enhanced navigation, expanded content, and more accurate search and
> browsing capabilities.
>

> Please take a few moments to visit the new CCSDS.org and to send us
> any initial impressions or general comments you may have thus far.  We
> continue to update information migrated from the old site and add
> content to various “Coming Soon” pages, but your feedback at this
> juncture will allow us to also put the finishing touches on the site
> before it is released to the public.
>

> To visit the site, simply click on the link below and use the CWE
> login sent to you by Brian Oliver last December.  Logins will be
> required for this testing and comment period only.  If you have lost
> your login or are having technical difficulty logging in, please
> contact Brian at brian.oliver at btas.com .  Again, after the new site is
> fully deployed, you will no longer need a login to access all of the
> public areas of the site.
>

> Please click here to visit the new CCSDS.org (CWE login required):
>

> http://member.ccsds.org/default1.aspx
>

> The new CCSDS.org is optimized for today’s most commonly used browsers:
>

> * Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01, plus latest service pack
>
>  * Internet Explorer 5.5, plus latest service pack
>
>  * Internet Explorer 6, plus latest service pack
>
>  * Internet Explorer 5.2 for MAC OS X, plus latest service pack
>
>  * Netscape Navigator 6.2 or later
>
>  * Netscape Navigator 6.2 for MAC
>
>  * Netscape Navigator 6.2 for UNIX
>

> Please send general questions, comments or suggestions for content to
> Penelope Walz at penelope.walz at btas.com .  Please send tech comments
> or requests for tech support to Brian Oliver at brian.oliver at btas.com
> .
>

> Thank you in advance for your assistance during the testing phase of
> the new CCSDS.org.
>

> Kindest regards,
>
> Penelope
>

> Penelope Wrenn Walz
>
> The Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS)
>
> CCSDS Secretariat Support – Public Affairs
>
> 6301 Ivy Lane, Ste 720
>
> Greenbelt, MD 20770 USA
>
> Tel -      + 1 301 474 5424
>
> Fax -     + 1 301 474 5427
>
> Mobile - + 1 571 235 1625
>
> E-mail -   penelope.walz at btas.com
>

> <image001.jpg>_______________________________________________
> CESG-all mailing list
> CESG-all at mailman.ccsds.org

Peter Shames
Manager - JPL Information Systems Standards Program
InterPlanetary Network and Information Systems Directorate
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-265
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-1333

Internet:  Peter.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the first
time"

                      T.S. Eliot