[Cesg-all] Update to SLS-Space Link Protocols WG Charter

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke@jpl.nasa.gov
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:11:34 -0700

--=====================_292290046==_.ALT

At 08:50 AM 9/25/2003, Greg J Kazz wrote:
>Attached is an update to the charter of the Space Link Protocols WG, which
>I chair.  I would appreciate it, if you would review this charter and
>approve it as soon as possible. The update contains words to the effect
>that this WG will review and disposition RIDs for CCSDS documents under
>its purview - space link protocol recommendations.

Greg: the process for handling proposed changes is not to "pile on" work
into an existing WG charter, but to create a new work unit to study and (if
appropriate) execute the necessary tasks. I would therefore suggest that
instead of modifying the Space Link Protocols WG charter you should instead
write a brief 1/2 page charter for a "Prox-1 Evolution BOF" and get
Jean-Luc to approve it. Such a charter would call the BOF together (during
the Space Protocol Working Group Meeting on Oct. 27 and the joint Coding,
RF& Modulation and Link layer meeting on Oct. 28) NOT to disposition the
RIDs directly but to examine whether they are important enough to warrant a
WG and if so to write a "Prox-1 Evolution WG" charter.

You and Jean-Luc will then need to convince the CESG at its October 30
meeting that these changes need to be made *now* (which is what CESG
approval of the new "Prox-1 Evolution WG" charter would mean).

To do that you will have to show a credible strategy for evolving Prox-1
[perhaps as a series of "builds" that map into flight mission milestones?]
that demonstrates that there is some well-thought-through stability and
configuration control associated with the protocol. Without that overall
"big picture", it will be difficult for the CESG to evaluate the proposal
and to make a recommendation to the CMC.

Best regards
Adrian

--=====================_292290046==_.ALT

charter of the Space Link Protocols WG, which I chair.&nbsp; I would
appreciate it, if you would review this charter and approve it as soon as
possible. The update contains words to the effect that this WG will
review and disposition RIDs for CCSDS documents under its purview - space
Greg: the process for handling proposed changes is not to &quot;pile
on&quot; work into an existing WG charter, but to create a new work unit
to study and (if appropriate) execute the necessary tasks. I would
therefore suggest that instead of modifying the Space Link Protocols WG
charter you should instead write a brief 1/2 page charter for a
&quot;Prox-1 Evolution BOF&quot; and get Jean-Luc to approve it. Such a
charter would call the BOF together (during the Space Protocol Working
Group Meeting on Oct. 27 and the joint Coding, RF&amp; Modulation and
Link layer meeting on Oct. 28) NOT to disposition the RIDs directly but
to examine whether they are important enough to warrant a WG and if so to
write a &quot;Prox-1 Evolution WG&quot; charter. <br><br>
You and Jean-Luc will then need to convince the CESG at its October 30
meeting that these changes need to be made *now* (which is what CESG
approval of the new &quot;Prox-1 Evolution WG&quot; charter would mean).
To do that you will have to show a credible strategy for evolving Prox-1
[perhaps as a series of &quot;builds&quot; that map into flight mission
milestones?] that demonstrates that there is some well-thought-through
stability and configuration control associated with the protocol. Without
that overall &quot;big picture&quot;, it will be difficult for the CESG
to evaluate the proposal and to make a recommendation to the
CMC.<br><br>
Best regards<br>
Adrian<br>