[Cesg-all] Re: Rick Schnurr's comments re: AOS Pink Sheets

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke@jpl.nasa.gov
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:32:40 -0700

--=====================_1556874796==_.ALT

At 04:47 AM 7/25/2003, Takahiro Yamada wrote:
>The AOS receiver has to know several things before being able to
>receive  frames (for example, frame length). Therefore, I think the
>counter length can be a managed parameter (like the frame length).

It certainly *can* be a managed parameter, but then so can many other
fields that are presently explicitly signaled. [For instance, why not take
out the Spacecraft ID and the Signalling Field and shorten the frame header
by two octets (33%)]?

The question is whether it *should* be a managed parameter? Is increasing
the complexity of the manual set-up something that we should be striving
for in the future, or should we be aiming to increase the level of
protocol-driven automation? I'd like to hear from the CSS Area on this.

>I would prefer to specify the extended counter length separately from the
>proposed retransmission procedure because AOS can, in principle, have
>multiple retransmission procedures.

Each of them (in principle) identified by "management" and each of them (in
principle) having its own unique managed counter?

Let me ask Greg a question here: is he  proposing to extend this counter
because there is universal consensus that this is independently a good
thing for humanity, or is he extending it because he thinks that he will
need it as part of some future, yet-to-be-defined retransmission scheme -
or, in principle, multiple future, yet-to-be-defined retransmission schemes?

Best regards
Adrian

--=====================_1556874796==_.ALT

several things before being able to receive&nbsp; frames (for example,
frame length). Therefore, I think the counter length can be a managed
It certainly *can* be a managed parameter, but then so can many other
fields that are presently explicitly signaled. [For instance, why not
take out the Spacecraft ID and the Signalling Field and shorten the frame
header by two octets (33%)]?<br><br>
The question is whether it *should* be a managed parameter? Is increasing
the complexity of the manual set-up something that we should be striving
for in the future, or should we be aiming to increase the level of
protocol-driven automation? I'd like to hear from the CSS Area on
this.<br><br>
prefer to specify the extended counter length separately from the
proposed retransmission procedure because AOS can, in principle, have
Each of them (in principle) identified by &quot;management&quot; and each
of them (in principle) having its own unique managed counter? <br><br>
Let me ask Greg a question here: is he&nbsp; proposing to extend this
counter because there is universal consensus that this is independently a
good thing for humanity, or is he extending it because he thinks that he
will need it as part of some future, yet-to-be-defined retransmission
scheme - or, in principle, multiple future, yet-to-be-defined
retransmission schemes?<br><br>
Best regards<br>
Adrian<br>