[Cesg-all] Re: Rick Schnurr's comments re: AOS Pink Sheets

Richard G. Schnurr Rick.Schnurr@nasa.gov
Tue, 15 Jul 2003 17:13:50 -0400

Hi Greg,

I have been following along and will now tiptoe into this conversation.

I think Adrian has a good point that the use of the new field should be
indicated somehow.  If the main purpose of the field is to allow for
retransmissions then it should be packaged with that services information
and the indication would be that a reliable frame service is being
used.  Clearly the ground should be able to ignore frame reliability and
process the data normally if needed.

If regular missions needs this extension when not using reliable frames,
not sure why since the ground equipment can keep track since everything
should be in order, then the use of the new bits should be indicated.  I
agree with Greg that the new bits can be ignored when not using reliable
frames (since they are optional).  If I were a GSE designer I would ignore
them all the time when reliability is not in use to simplify the
software.  This gives more credence to Adrian's argument that the optional
bits are only needed when one is using reliable frames requiring the ground
system to watch for roll overs when frame reliability is not being used.

The issue for rollovers when using reliability is more complicated since a
frame-id should not be re-used until it is released by the receiving
authority (or possibly by some negative ack scheme).  IE the maximum number
of id's available determines the max length of the reliability window.  I
hope your reliability protocol doesn't have to guess about where the
beginning/end of the window is.  Clearly the reliability software needs to
know how big the window is and signalling the window size is a different
problem since many missions might run out of frame buffers before it runs
out of unique id's.

I will stop here because I have not studied the frame reliability protocol.

I am not in favor however of mandating the use of the extra three frame ID
bits since we have existing missions that do not use them. (This is my
opinion: if you argue the point I will talk to the flight types and get
more input).

I think it makes sense to bundle this change with any other recommendation
covering reliable frame processing since that is a new thing and we can
implement it in a way that makes sense.  Personally, I am having trouble
following all the your arguments without understanding the overall
operation of reliable frames.  Leading credence to Adrian's point that the
two changes should be bundled.

Please correct my thinking as required.

Rick